1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the capabilities of my player?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by HenryCan, Jun 29, 2012.

1. HenryCan

HenryCan Member

The DVD player connected to my TV is a Philips DVP3560. How can I determine what codecs, frame rates, frame sizes, etc. this device will support?

The reason I ask is that I typically download files that are in .MP4 format but this player can't handle that format. I use Aura Video Converter to change it into AVI format which the player can play fine. However, Aura needs me to specify an output profile. I choose a codec, a frame size, a video bitrate, a video framerate as well as various audio settings. If I choose the wrong values, meaning something that is unsupported on the player, the disk won't play and I get a message like "Invalid frame rate". So how can I tell what values are supported for each setting that Aura is asking me about?

I don't see this information in the DVD player's manual or at the manufacturer's website.

Also, is Aura generally accepted as a good tool for this job or are there better (free) tools for this task?

I should mention that I have followed the instructions in the DVD player manual to get the firmware version information. Unless I'm misreading something, my firmware is slightly newer than the newest one they offer at the Philips website. Also, the Aura software is running on my computer which is using XP SP3, just in case anyone wants to suggest other conversion software.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have a philips dvd player and i use avidemux to convert from mp4 to avi (and yes its free).also found an unlock code for multiregion playback from a link on here.