1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What brand DVD to back up ps2 games

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by denisp84, Jun 5, 2007.

1. denisp84

denisp84 Guest

Hi, everyone.
    What brand DVD should I use to back up PS2 games. Should memorex work or better?

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

You need a modchip, then you can use any blank DVD.

3. denisp84

denisp84 Guest

I already have magic switch and magic swap

4. Webchuzz

Webchuzz Member

I only use one brand: Princo.
    They never failed, besides, they are the cheapest you can get.

The best you can use are: Sony, TDK, Pleomax, etc etc.
    But all the others should work fine if you burn them the right way: slow speeds (2x)

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I highly recommend Taiyo Yuden whether you are in the need for DVD-R or DVD+R although you could also get some from Verbatim or Sony too, but I also think Taiyo Yuden produces discs for both Verbatim and Sony too (but I'll let someone clarify this for both our sakes). As for the other brands such as Memorex being good, you really have to look hard for the good Memorex ones. There may even be a variety of different Memorex, but overall, it depends on the media ID. What I mean by a variety of different Memorex is that there could be a variety of Memorex DVDs with different media IDs; hence, more than 1 company has produced for Memorex whether they be Riteks or CMC MAGs.

Check here for a list of media IDs. Even though it's a bit outdated and probably needs some slight changes, it's still pretty helpful. Also, avoid using 16x DVD-Rs. Most 16x DVD-Rs, if you do decide to buy from Memorex, are utter expletive and CMC MAGs. You can compare the same 16x CMC MAGs you can get from buying 16x DVD-Rs with both Memorex and TDK yet TDK will get you 10x better performance from what I've tested. For your sake and your PS2's laser, avoid CMC MAGs in general because they'll utterly ruin your laser, give you bad results, have a minimal boot rate and so forth. Actually, avoid a lot of 16x DVD-Rs unless you have to. If you do buy 16x DVD-Rs, try aiming for Verbatim or Sony. From my experience, a lot of outsourcing, depending on what DVD media brand you buy from really like Memorex as a prime example, tend to do a lot of outsourcing and are of lesser quality especially in those super special bundles you see, which are mainly 95% outsourced and bad. You're better off looking for 8x and 4x DVD-Rs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  6. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Well i use Sony DVD-Rs 16x and most games that i burn work good. Though not all... so i say it's pretty safe to use these. And they are pretty much the only good brand i can find in my area. No sign of verbatim or taiyo yuden.

7. HG27

HG27 Guest

Same here, for ps2 backups burning speed is usually the biggest factor.

8. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Well, it depends what you're looking for. I found when I was playing my backed-up games on my Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+Rs, I could get nearly identical results and problems were less noticeable on Taiyo Yuden as though I were playing with my originals compared to using Sony DVDs where it became obvious that there were defects, rough areas and so forth more so than using Taiyo Yuden. Using Sony DVDs weren't too much of an issue for me if the game size was less than 4 gigabytes but I found when I was trying to play games like Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, Final Fantasy 12, Tales of the Abyss and such, which require the use of 4.2 gigabytes or more space and needed to be burnt further out to the edge of the DVD's rims, they performed so incredibly poor that I decided to upgrade.

Besides, 16x Sony DVD-Rs aren't too great to begin with. 16x Verbatims are another story though. You're better off using 8x or below Sony DVD-Rs for better performance and less change of getting bad quality burns and bad media IDs. If you're lucky enough and know where to look, you can actually find some Taiyo Yuden DVDs hidden under a Sony brand name in nearby stores hence why knowing media IDs is so handy when trying to determine the worth and performance of your DVDs. Memorex is mostly bad if you stick with their value expletive 16x packs but if you look through Memorex 4x DVDs, you might be lucky enough to find some Riteks. I believe Ritek publishes 4x DVDs under both TDK AND Memorex although the quality of the results of each one do differ quite substantial like if you compare a 16x TDK CMC MAG with a 16x Memorex CMC MAG, TDK performs 1000% better but isn't too great itself.

Edit: Well, game-wise, Taiyo Yuden I like more than such and such. I still use TDKs, Verbatims and Sonys to make data disc and have been quite content with them in that regard.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  9. steimy

steimy Active member

steimy stands and applauds the above post :)

Outsourcing. It is the reason the DVD's from most companies can not be trusted 100%. You could get 4 packs of Sony discs, and each one could be a different manufacturer ID and therefor a different quality. That is why sticking with Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim is a really wise choice.

I will admit that although they are CMC Mag if you can find some 8X DVD-R made by Phillips you may be able to save some money. And i use to use them exclusively for at least a year with fantastic results. But since all burners and PS2's differ slightly your results may not be as good.

Best places i have found to buy media are online. You can get top quality media for the same price if not less then your local electronics store. And get a better selection of better brands.
    Newegg.com is really good
    also Supermediastore.com is good, actually gives you the MFG ID right on the site and guarantee's that all their media is 100% authentic.

10. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

You and hursty are the reason why I've learned of all this in the first place so really your flattery and all that well deserved applause should go to you yourself not that I mind having it either =D.

From my understanding and experience, when shopping at a Fry's, Bestbuy or wherever else, there is a probability like I've seen and paid sadly where you can be extremely lucky enough to get some actual good goods and not simply false advertising. The best example for me where I've experienced getting a variety of media IDs in a mere 50 or 100 pack (and even a darn 25 pack) is with Memorex and TDK as far as I know of. The strangest pack I have ever seen was with this 4x DVD+R TDK pack I was buying which had several CMC MAG IDs and a few RICOHJPNs for some strange reason.

And to denisp84: as steimy suggested, supermediastore.com is a very reliable site from where you can buy online, which I've also bought from too. I've also heard of Rima.com and Newegg.com being good, but I haven't really tried them yet because I've been so content with the service supermediastore.com has been giving me.

Edit: Philip CMC MAGs you say steimy? I wouldn't be surprised if I got good results like you've said. My last post where I said TDK was 1000% better wasn't a joke or sarcasm. A few TDK CMC MAGs I've scanned literally had about a million errors compared to Memorex where it was in the tens of millions. Same thing for TDK Riteks. I found it absolutely strange and astonishing how two DVDs can have the same media ID but the difference in results would be totally astronomical when I compared a 16x Memorex to a 16x TDK, 4x TDK with a 4x Memorex and so forth. I'll certainly look for them if I could find them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007