1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what brand/model firewire card should i get?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by RastaCruz, Jun 24, 2004.

1. RastaCruz

RastaCruz Member

hi everyone, i've been searching the site and trying to learn about all this stuff and haven't found my answer. i want to set up my computer for transfering vhs, 8mm tapes to dvd using a sony digital 8 camcorder, firewire and premiere. just wondering what kind of firewire card i should get? i see some very cheap on ebay, but don't want to buy a poor quality one. can anyone recommend some brands and models to look for? and what to stay away from.

i'm running:
    athlon 1700+ (overclocked to around 2.2Ghz)
    windows xp
    512Mb ram

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Generally speaking all firewire cards are pretty Much the same..The one I have I got off E-Bay for $2.50 and it cost me 3 times that much to get it shipped and it works fine but if you are going to be doing a Lot of Captureing then you Might want to get one that is Rated for DV Capture but Most poeple I know that do a Lot of DV Capture just use a regular Firewire Card without any Problems as long as you have a fast dedicated Hard drive just for capture cuz DV Capture can take up huge ammounts of Disk space....Cheers

3. RastaCruz

RastaCruz Member

minion - thanks for the reply. i've read many of your posts and it seems that you know a lot about the subject. i appreciate that you take the time to write such detailed replies to people's questions. i'm sure i will have more myself once i get it all set up. i do a lot of digital audio transfering and editing from DAT, so i'm not a total dummy when it comes to this kind of stuff. but, i haven't done video yet, so it will be a bit of a challenge at first. i'm sure once i get the hang of it, i'll be stoked. anyways, thanks again and have a good evening! rasta