1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What brand of DVD-R to use??

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by cubelover, Jan 16, 2007.

1. cubelover

cubelover Member

Hi,

Im am going to order a viper gc extreme chip as well as the viper full case tommorow. I have read alot on this forum and much of it has been talking about what type of dvd-r media to use with gc backups. It seems most of the info is rather scattered, and I can't really determine which brand is preferred. My question is:
    What is the ideal brand of DVD-R media to use for GC Backups? Also what speed of burn is preferred. Thanks in advance for all of the help.

-Kyle

2. skew

skew Member

Hey Im new as well,as far as I've found out so far Ritek disks are prefered.
    particularly the ritek g04 recording dye.
    these disks can be purchased under the "ridata" brand (in canada anyway not to sure about the states)and "traxdata" as well (not sure if all trax' disks are ritek or not, as I have not bought them myself)
    there are more brands too but I dont know their names(others here do)
    hope this helps.

3. hadner

hadner Member

I have done some limited testing with my GC. Nothing worked until I adjusted my laser pot from 399 ohms down to about 215.

All full sized DVDs (played with my case off until I went in and drummeled out a space for regular discs)

Memorex DVD-R 16x (comes up as Ritek4) burned at 4x with Nero Worked but would get disk read errors after an hour or more.

Maxell DVD-R 16x (unknown manufacturer in DVD Identifier) burned at 4x has read every game (5 games tested so far) not a single DRE yet.

4. cubelover

cubelover Member

are Sony's a good choice? Also how hard is modding the lens pot?

5. skew

skew Member

Im not the most qualified person on this board to answer that question but here goes.
    There are various tutorials online to show you how to adjust the pot in a GC. some even have pictures!
    I wont reccomend one because Ive never used any of them or adjusted my pot at all.
    The process it self involves opening the the GC's external case, this will require a "gameBit" tool to allow you to turn the GC's freaky screws.
    Once its open and you locate the pot itself you test it with a multimeter and find out how many ohms its running at currently. then you adjust it up or down in small increments (use the multimeter to see how much you've changed it) test in between each adjustment with a burnt game to see if it will read.
    I think this is basicly what the process is.
    Like I said tho I hven't/wont adjust mine, and Im doing pretty good with Ritek g04 mini dvd-R's and "Imageburn" and a XENO 2.0 chip.