1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cable connections are needed to transfer vhs to pc?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by easybut, Apr 5, 2004.

1. easybut

easybut Member

I have pinnacle linx studio 7/8 and have called the helpdesk several times not much joy, so I thought I'd ask u guyz. I have a USB capture device which allows me to connect my Analog Camcorder o.k, however my VCR using the same method refuses to capture any audio/video signal. I have since discovered that by using the "out" video aerial which I would normally connect to both video and tv is what gives a picture. This I would like to do with my pc which if I can get a pic I am sure I will be able to capture. The video/audio composite cables alone do not do this. If you know where I could attach the aerial within my pc to enable a pic I would like to hear from you. Thank you

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you should use the Same Connections on your Device as you use with your Analogue Camcorder...The Yelow RCA/Composite Output on your VCR should hook into the Yellow RCA/Composite Input on your Capture device and the same with the White and Red RCA Audio connections...I can tell you that if you are trying to Capture from your VCR and you are Useing a Retail VHS Tape then you will not be able to Capture in Most cases because Retail VHS Tapes are Copy Protected so when you try to capture you will either get No signal or you will get Video that goes Bright and bark and has Squigilly Lines going through the Picture but you should allways be able to capture the audio because the VHS Audio is not Copy protected by Macrovision.....well good Luck

3. easybut

easybut Member

Thanks for your message. I must add that what you have suggested I have already tried, I forgot to add that the composite has two different endings one is a scart plug for the VCR and the other a composite one red which says video on it and the other white which says audio on it. I know normally the red should be yellow but I have proved that it is video by trying it out with my analog camcorder to the PC and that works ok. My instinct tells me it is missing a OUT video cable as it doesn't work without one even when plugging it into the TV. Any more help would be of great help. This forum has solved many of my problems in the past. Thanks you.