1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what cable do i need to plug my xbox 360 into my pc monitor

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by johncchc, Sep 26, 2007.

1. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

hi, i have a dell 15 inches monitor. it's not ultrasharp, it's analog. on the back there is a blue color port for inserting video connector. now my question is, is there any cable where i can connect the xbox 360 into my pc monitor so i can just play it off from my pc monitor and is there a thing such a spliter where i can have two videos port for my pc monitor so i can play xbox 360 and switch back to my desktop screen.. thanks in advance..

2. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

i guess no one here wanna help me out.. =(

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

lol 12 minutes after you ask something and dont get an answer you post saying people dont want to help. get the xbox 360 vga cable

4. allybhoy

allybhoy Member

Sorry John,didnt see this thread, Not sure if this will help but this is how i have it setup,

you need an XBOX VGA Cable like so...

http://www.gamesolutions.com.ar/catalog/images/xbox360_acc_vga.jpg

Then to split the signal the handiest thing to do (I presume this is a desktop and not a lappy) is to get a cheap KVM Switch, which will allow you to nagivate back and forward from desktop to xbox using a pre defined keystroke. eg:- shift+PrintScreen

Its fairly easy to setup, you plug ur pc and keyboard and mouse into one slot on the KVM and xbox into the another and then plug ur montior into the kvm box and thats it.

Dont know where you are located but if you were in Ireland or UK you can get the cable in GAME or any video game store and the KVM in Maplin or any pc supply shop. Alternitavely you could try ebay...

5. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

thanks allybhoy, i live in New york city. i will look it up tonight and see where i can get it. i hope it's relatively cheap.. i am sorta broke lol. thanks again.

6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

that cable is regularly priced at 39.99

7. allybhoy

allybhoy Member

No probs, hope u find a cheap KVM Aswell,just leave a spreadsheet on ur desktop that way when the boss walks in u can switch back quickly without him noticing what ur at. "Gee John,ur really putting in the hours here, how about a raise.."

8. steimy

steimy Active member

And on a side note, when it comes to AV Cables you never want to buy really cheap one's or your going to regret it. So if you look around and find some off the wall brand being sold for like $15 then you can but them if you want. But you will most likely not have as good a picture quality.

9. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

allybhoy lmao. i am not going to buy a xbox 360 and play it in my office. that's impossible when i am working, i give my attention to work. no slack off lol. anyway i dont have a xbox 360 yet but i am planning to get one soon. that's why i have so many questions i wanna ask before i get it. another one idk if u guys can help me. I heard rumors saying that the new xbox 360 preminum with HDMI cant be hacked due to its dvd-drive. i wanna confirm it with u guys if it's true. i am really noob at xbox 360 so u guys have to excuse me. thanks for the people who replied me back.

10. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

u can find the cord at target or bestbuy or circuit city.

29.99 or something i believe X360 to VGA

11. JohnyBoy2

JohnyBoy2 Member

Hey all i'm also interested in buying one of thease cables but the only thing that i dont get is how do you get audio.

My tft monitor does'nt have bulit in speakers so what could i do to get sound.

Also could you not get a cable that will go from the back of my graphix card to the 360 i have 2 pci express cards so i would be able to just run the 360 through 1 and change the display to that card.

any help would be gr8 cheers all

12. steimy

steimy Active member

If your running it with a VGA cable strait to the monitor without speakers there is no way to get sound since it all runs through one cord. You could with component cables though because the audio is separate on those and you can plug them into any speaher set that takes RCA input, which is most of them.

As far as video cards, i do not see why not. If running to a PC i know a lot of sound cards have either a VGA or DVI input. Mine has 2 DVI inputs but has an adapter to plug in VGA devices. And since the PC can be hooked to speakers then you can get sound that way along with a picture on the monitor. Something like a GeForce 7600GT would probably work nice.

Now if you want great sound then getting a stereo receiver is the way to go. You use the component cables to hook the video to the monitor, and the RCA cables to hook audio to the receiver. It will then decode the signal and output into true surround sound into a speaker set (at least 5 for good surround)

Then a third option is a bit cheaper but will only give you real good stereo sound. A speaker set like these.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121126
    I have those hooked to my PC, but unless you have a motherboard like mine with separate audio channels (front, rear and center/sub) then all you can get is "simulated" surround sound by using the speakers Matrix Mode. But it does still soung really good. You would do same as above, run video to monitor and audio to speakers. Although i think you would also need a jack to turn the two RCA cables from the Xbox into one headphone input, but they are super cheap.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-Audio-to-3-...ryZ32838QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    some look like the above and others are called "Y" cables
    [​IMG]

P.S. sorry for the overkill of information, just wanted to give you some options.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  13. JohnyBoy2

JohnyBoy2 Member

Tanks for all the info mate

What sort of component cable could i get as i'm not to sure what to buy any info again would be nice

cheers

14. steimy

steimy Active member

It should have come with the 360 (your stock cables)
    They will have a red and white (audio) and also blue, green and red cables for the video.
    [​IMG]

15. JohnyBoy2

JohnyBoy2 Member

Yes but the only way i can attach this to my pc monitor is if i hack it open and attach a vga adapter on it

is this right or is there another way

16. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

u should already have a VGA adapter on ur monitor, as it is the standard.

the component cables only come w/ Premium and Elite 360s.

but as steimy was saying the Y cable would be an easy option for audio, the VGA cable u buy for the 360 has the VGA connection and White/Red for audio (which when paired w/ the Y adapter could be run into a Mic or Line in on a PC and done that way, or if ur just using a monitor u could hook it into a stereo using that same Y adapter)

Y adapters cost like $3 at radioshack.

17. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

for the vga cable, i am confused. why is there a red and a blue plug at the end. whats that for, where do i plug that at? i wanna plug it to my computer monitor not into my tv. i dont understand. doesnt one end have to be VGA connector for the pc monitor and one end for the xbox 360? can someone plz explain it to me, i am confused.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  18. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

this is what the VGA cable looks like

[​IMG]

the red and white are for audio, the other goes into ur pc monitor.

19. johncchc

johncchc Regular member

i know the red and white are the audio, but where i plug that into my pc monitor? i dont see any red and white audiio port for them to be plugged in. another thing, if u just plug in the vga connector into the vga port on the pc monitor without the audio port plugged in, will there be sound on my monitor? another thing, my computer pc monitor doesnt have speaker, i am using a third party speaker. what can i do in this case.

20. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

this has been gone over already, w/ that talk of the Y adapter and stuff, but okay...

VGA connector to PC Monitor (u won't get sound thru ur monitor)
    if u had the red and white connectors on your monitor you'd hook those in as well and you'd get sound. but since you don't have sound on ur monitor you might have to run the red and white thru a stereo or some similar type of device w/ those inputs, or you can get the Y adapters so you can hook it into the INPUT line on a radio or ur computer or even then add another adapter and use a cheap set of speakers w/ it....