1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I be doing wrong then?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Vinster, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Vinster

Vinster Guest

I have followed this method best I can:

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-menustripping.htm

I use the Decrypter and then manually copy the video_ts files (three of them - Decrypt doesn't copy them over) into the directory.

I run IfoEdit and deregion, take out anything other than English etc. and let it do its business - it works fine.

I am using Windows XP and do have a problem with IfoEdit when it comes to burning.

I manually create a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directory on my hard drive, and copy all the new VOB's etc. into the VIDEO_TS directory.

I then use Nero to burn the above directories to DVD-R.

When I put it in my BUSH DVD player, or DECCAVIDEO it works fine, but if I put it into any other DVD's - they recognise the media as DVD but will not play at all.

Could this be the media or is it the way I am doing it?

Thanks in advance

2. Snowface

Snowface Member

This is probably a dvd-player problem. If the disc is created succesfully and it plays in several dvd-players, it's not your movie or your media. Otherwise it wouldn't have played at all.
    Check here to see if that dvd-player is compatible with dvd-r's

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

3. Vinster

Vinster Guest

cheers - will look .... but!....

A friend of mine decrypts the DVD, then converts the VOB into AVI, then authors using VideoWave 5 back to DVD - its time consuming but it does work with the DVD Players that I have and he is record to DVD-R.

4. Vinster

Vinster Guest

Strange ... if I use FlaskMPEG and then use VideoWave 5 to create a DVD, the DVD-R media works fine in all set top boxes but the sound is Dolby Surround Sound and the format is MPEG, not DVD Digital etc.

Could it be I am not burning correctly with Nero? I am using the DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) Method with the standard settings, and just dragging and dropping VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories across and then burning.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Vinster: If you "flask" the movie, convert it to AVI and then "do DVD", you're re-encoding the video twice, which is horrible waste of quality in terms of video AND audio. If you use direct approach like IFOEdit, the video will be _exactly_ the same as in original DVD. And that causes the audio issue as well, you downmix the original DD to stereo WAV, then encode it to MP2 and the results are worse than even the original DS2.0 soundtrack would be.

Basically what you're doing is putting DivX files into DVD.

6. Vinster

Vinster Guest

dRD, thanks - I thought that.

However, all I was saying for that part is that I have done it once and the DVD-R media worked fine in all four of my DVD players - I have been doing the other method (albeit not using Vobrater because its quite unstable on my machine) and the DVD-R only works on one of my DVD players.

The Samsung DVD player and a Panasonic DVD player both give a message similar to "This type of CD cannot be played"

My question in the main was, using IfoEdit etc. and simply "dragging and dropping" the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS from my Hard Drive into Nero, and burning the DVD-R as a IFO/UDF DVD-Rom - is this the correct way to go, or should I burn it a different way (i.e. create an image etc?)

Thanks for the help though guys, really appreciate it :)

7. Vinster

Vinster Guest

Hmmmm... maybe sovled it?!

I was using Nero 5.5.4.0 and upgraded to Nero 5.5.9.0 which had DVD-Video instead of DVD-ROM - works great on all the players it didn't before with the same media.

Now all I need to do is work out how to "shorten" the films - I tried to backup my Enemy of the State DVD but it was 5.9Gb!

8. Snowface

Snowface Member

Well... I've gone over your problem several times. And now my guess is (and I could very well be mistaken), that these 2 DVD-players that these media do work on, handle your discs somewhat differently or they have a don't have a problem with the way Nero burns them and the other DVD-players do. And Nero has never worked for me anyway, at least with burning DVD-R's. So my advise is that you should try this guide from Derrow and try Prassi PrimoDVD.

http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/index.html
    http://www.psxforum.com/utilities.php

9. Vinster

Vinster Guest

Snowface, since I upgraded my Nero to version 5.5.9.0 the DVD-R's work on every machine - in fact, I today tested the method on about 20 Different brands of DVD machines and it worked on all - the Wharfdale was the only make to take about 20 seconds before playing the discs.

EDIT: ... and thanks for the help ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2002