1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can i overclock?And how?Thx in advance

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ReddyFire, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ReddyFire

ReddyFire Member

Hi, i accidentaly got to this site trying to find a tutorial on how to overclock my processor but after reading a couple forums i realised everyone here has alot more experience then me and has already tried at least once what i wish to attempt.What i basicly want to do is overclock my pc.I can probably only tell you what DirectX 9.0c tells me about my PC.Cuz i dont really know where else to look.So here it is:

--- Main Page ---
    Machine name: EMACHINES
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 448MB RAM
    Page File: 245MB used, 1164MB available
    --- Video Card ---
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
    Chip type: GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    --- Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives ---
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 47.3 GB
    Total Space: 114.5 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD1200AB-00DYA0

I dont know anything about my motherboard...
    i mounted a 2nd fan pointing to hdd as an extra
    everything else is untouched...im a scared lil kid/noob.
    So can you guys point out to me what i could OC and how exactly to do it?I would greatly appreciate it!!
    Thank you in advance,
    alex from romania :)

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I would suggest doing a search for Overclockers forums. There are a couple here and are quite lengthy. There is much to learn before attempting this and it also helps to have the proper MB to be able to handle the CPU and Memory changes that will take place. It’s not something that one can just say, do this, and it’s done.

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

The quickest way to clock your PC is to up the FSB in your BIOS. You may have to up the memory voltages, otherwise it may crash. However. I would not recommend doing this unless you have experience. Otherwise you may screw up your PC.
    You have an Athlon 2800, that is far quick enough for most. Why do you want to OC for? For performance in games you need a decent graphics card.
    Again you really need to know what you are doing before you attempt to clock your processor & memory, do you have other friends who clock, or are you on your own?

Kind regards,
    Pulsar

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  4. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

you better read up on that subject.....cuz it is very touchy, as it can ruin your whole PC if not done correctly....a lot of things can go wrong with OC your CPU.... and like Pulsar said the CPU u have is more than enough for majority of people....but if you insist on doing this READ!!!! first...make sure you understand it completely....