1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Codec Packs, to many, advice needed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rogue212, Dec 28, 2007.

1. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Hi, i,ve installed about four codec packs and i have many codecs installed twice.
    Can this cause problems in windows XP or any programs, here are a list of the codec packs i have saved but not all are installed.

AVICodecPackPlus-22.exe
    Codec_Pack_Ultimate.exe
    Cole2k.Media.-.Codec.Pack.V6.0.9.-Advanced-.32Bit.Setup.exe
    Cole2k.Media.-.Codec.Pack.V6.0.9.-Standard-.32Bit.Setup.exe
    D-i-v-X.-.AV.Codec.Pack.V1.1.0.-Pro-.32Bit.Setup.exe
    klcodec357f.exe
    Media[1].Player.Codec.Pack.V1.1.0.-.32Bit.Setup.exe Windows Essentials Media Codec Pack 1.0

I recently downloaded this codec pack: StarCodec_20070620.exe, as it was recommened on here, when i tried to install it recommended uninstalling the codec packs i'd already installed as it contained the same codecs.
    Which one's should i install and need or are the best one's to use, any advice, thanx.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Codecs can cause conflicts, only use one pack. Some recommend Codec packs, some the individual codecs. This pack contains all you should need and you can choose which parts of it to install (Kazza Lite - Full, nothing to do witb Kazza): http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm or XVID 1.13 (I think that's the latest version) will play the majority of files: Xvid Codec 1.13. A program like Gspot can show what codecs you need if you ever run into a file that won't play.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  3. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Cheers for the recommended codec pack and info, i assumed it was a bad thing to have the same codec installed twice but its always nice have an informed answer.
    I'm doing a dual install of XP and Lunix so i'm getting all my favourite programs ready yo install then i'll be taking a disk image for backup etc.
    But there's just one more newbie question i can't get answered, how big would you make the XP operating system partiton, as i'm having a seperate data partition plus the Lunix OS partition, sorry just thought i'd throw that in. thanx again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

what you useing most? and how bug are your hd's ?

5. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

I'm using XP as my main OS and just trying Lunix Kubuntu, my HD is 320GB

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

well set linux for say 20gig to play with...

leave xp as 300

7. rogue212

rogue212 Guest

Great, thanx for your help again, now i can make a start, my first dual boot attempt.