1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What codec to choose when ripping?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by gruntLOL, Jun 29, 2007.

1. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Hi all I'm getting myself a proper surround sound system in the coming month (w00t I'm so excited) I also now have a HTPC and a proper setup for my bedroom. My ONLY problem with the entire room and setup is that I have no DVD storage purely because I have no room. As a result they are hidden away at the top of my walk in robe. While my room looks fabulous its impractical climbing up there every time I want to watch a DVD. I currently have a mix of HD and standard DVD's. I want to rip them all to my HTPC to make it easier to watch them. But given i would like to use the x264 codec for quality reasons (and the fact that I can take advantage of 1080p) can I rip all my movies using this same codec? As in will a standard DVD in 576p still be encodable in x264 even though its a hi-def codec? Also can I straight rip from DVD to this format (compression isn't a huge issue I can buy more hard disk...though a 1:1 copy wouldn't be prefferable). Or will I have to rip from the DVD into an ISO (or the Video and Audio TS folders.) And then convert from there?

If thats the case what program to I use to convert (I'll use DVD Decryptor or MagicISO to rip). And further more where can I find a tutorial for settings for ripping and converting?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm getting spoon fed I'm just still learning about this whole rip and encode thing as I generally just watched them off DVD when it was practical and I didn't mind my room being a mess.....

2. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

x264 isn't specifically an HD codec it's just that its used a lot more with HD videos.

I would use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and rip the main movie that way so you could have just one file instead of having a bunch of VTS files.