1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What codex will play my M2V files with their audio

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by sargar, Aug 30, 2005.

1. sargar

sargar Member

I used to be able to play an M2V file and get the audio stream as well. This was even in WMP. Since testing and trying several burning and authoring programs, this is no longer happening. Does anyone know what codec I need to make this happen again. The M2V files play but it doesn't include the audio. Any hints, clues or advice.

2. nrautava

nrautava Guest

3. sargar

sargar Member

I am aware of that fact. What I may not have been clear about is that in the past when I double clicked on the video file, WMP also played it back with the audio file as well.
    I wondered why it did and now does not. I have been doing a lot of software testing so I figured a possible codec change may have done it but I don't know as it once did it but now doesn't.

4. nrautava

nrautava Guest

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/224750
    Part 5.

Test that the files have audio.

Have you tried some m2v file what work sometime ago? Do the work anymore?

These files what work -> test them too and report if there is some diffrent... (using software u find from my link)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  5. sargar

sargar Member

In the past when I double clicked on an M2V file, WMP played it with the audio stream as well. That no longer happens. The audio stream is there but no playback. It is there (meaning I can hear it) in DVD shrink or DVD lab or Nero. I just can't listen and see the M2V project when I want to check it by clicking on it. I don't why it worked before and not now. I suspected it was because of the introduction of new codecs or programs that deal with DVD authoring but I do not know. Maybe it was never supposed to work but it once did.

6. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

m2v stands for mpeg-2 video stream. I have never seen one with audio. The only way to hear both audio and video is to play the separate audio file at the same time. Maybe you did something like how those matroska files work?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  7. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

I found out what you are talking about. I just opened an m2v file with Media Player classic and guess what...there was sound. This is not because the .m2v has audio though, it is because the corresponding audio file was in the same folder. Pretty weird.

8. sargar

sargar Member

That's exactly what happened to me but it didn't do it consistently.
    That was the point of my original question.
    Does anyone know why it works sometimes and not others and was their a way to be sure it played them back together.
    I have them in the same folder and it used to work but now it no longer does it. Looking for further clues as to why WMP does it or not. Thanks for responding as more than a few forum members thought I was crazy.
    G

9. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

It isn't Windows media player that does it, only Media Player classic (real alternative codec). I think the file has to have the same name as the .m2v. Ex: track1.m2v & track1.wav, however I say this because I know mine had the same name. I do not know if other sound formats do this as well.

I think the reason that it works is because Media player classic can play Matroska files which is kind of like a folder. The video and audio are separate and the player syncs them and plays them both at once.

Just a guess, but that might be it.

10. sargar

sargar Member

Thank you! Yes, it does it and what I surmise is that I used to use it and Windows Media Player or some other media player I have must have overwritten the default so they were attempting it. MPC works.
    Thanks again for the input.
    G