1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what core 2 duo motherboard should I get?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mark5hs, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

My local compusa is going out of business and everything is %30 off so I figured I might as well get a motherboard for the computer I plan on building during summer. I need a good intel motherboard but I have no idea which one to get, as I ussualy use AMD. What do you reccomend?

2. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

do you want to stick with amd or intel?? if your going with intel then get one that can support SATA hdd's maybe pci-e x16 or agp 8x (for video cards) and 4 ram slots.

3. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

yeah, well that stuff is pretty much common sense. are there any specific intel motherboards I should look for?

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

depends more on your price range.

if you can get an asus p5b deluxe or any nf680i (both intel quad core ready) boards at that disscount i would rip there hand off.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition. Check the price first as you can get it at Newegg.com for about $165 (plus shipping). You can check out the specs here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130051
    some key features i liked when i bought mine.
    1. 8.0 High Def on board audio where you can get TRUE surround sound as the channels are broken up into sets the way they should be (one plug each for sub/center, front, and rear speakers).
    2. Dual channel RAM slots with 3 choices of speed.
    3. Crossfire PCI-E slots for hooking 2 crossfire video cards together (if that is even needed)
    4. Quad-Core processor compatible for future upgrades. You can step up to the next level down the road rather than replacing the whole system.
    5. 5 SATA slots
    6. MSI has nice updating software called "MSI Live Update" you run this to update your BIOS and other motherboard software.

one con i found was with the IDE slots. It has 2 slots but can only run 3 devices, not 4. The one channel can run a master and slave (good for a second hard drive and DVD drive) the first can only run a master (good for your boot drive). But with 5 SATA slots that should not be too big a problem.

I am running mine on XP Pro, not sure how all of that would run with Vista, and have no plans on switching to that excuse for a OS any time soon. Hope this infor is at little helpful.
    My only regreat is not buying a bigger tower than a mid ATX as i have run out of places to install hard drives. (my case only holds 4 internal HDD's)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007