1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What determines quality of dvd media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Bezerker, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Bezerker

Bezerker Member

I was just wondering, what are the manufacturers doing differently that makes one piece of blank media better than the others.

IE you can buy a 50 pack of 8X Memorex's for $19.95 in stores here. While a 25 pack of 4x Verbatim Digital Video dvd's is $22.95.

I have tested both media out, burning the same game at the same speed, no other major programs running other than blindwrite, and the game runs flawlessly on the Verbatim but is choppy on the Memorex.

Is it something the manufacturers do?

Sorry if this has been asked before, couldnt figure out how to slim down the search for 'what makes one brand better than the other'

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah memorex is junk media or any that ids out as CMC.Verbatim on the other hand is very good quality.dont buy the memorex. stick with the top brands TY, Ritek,Verbatim,Maxell and your really paying to much also check this deal out..http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles-100.html

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

From what I know about it, the problem usually boils down to the quality of the dye being used. Apparently some dyes are superior in quality and durability making for better quality blank media. There may be some other manufacturing processes that contribute as well, but the quality of dye used seems most important.

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

it's all about the quality of dye the manufacturers use, zippyd is completely correct. obviously, quality testing varies from one manufacturer to another; but, it boils down to the actual DYE that is used. verbatim utilizes their AZO dye, which is actually an advanced/superior dye compared to the "regular" dye that CMC/Memorex uses. verbatim even markets the discs they sell now w/ "ADVANCED AZO" or "Metal AZO" dye on the packaging. this is what you should look for from the companies that actually use this superior dye. i know Taiyo Yuden also utilizes a similar dye, i don't know for sure if it's referred to by the same name as "metal azo" or "advanced azo" or whatevers; but, it is generally very high quality as well. hope that helps. good day