1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Determines the Speed of DVD Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wlloyd, Feb 7, 2004.

1. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

To Herbsman:

I have three of four different brands of blank DVDs, but since the freebie DVD-RW that came with my Sansui DVD/VHS Combo Recorder was a 2X, I assume that was the DVD speed that I needed. I believe that all of my blank DVDs are 2X. Would I benefit ny getting 3X or higher. . . .Something tells me "NO." Am I correct?

Help!

wlloyd

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well I'm not herbsman, but maybe I can help you, but you need to help us first!

I read some of your previous posts, looking for information on your system. Without knowing what you are working with its difficult to help.

Tell me what DVD programs you have. I know you have DVD Shrink. What version?

What are you planning to do with your Sansui?

Frank

3. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi, fasfrank.

If you don't mind, I will sketch everything for you.
    I am operating a CyberPower 1.67 Ghz processor with 80 GB HDD,512 MB RAM. I also have an auxiliary hard drive, a Buslink 30 GB unit. My OS is Windows XP Home.
    I have plenty of disk space on both Drive C and the aux. Drive G.

I have DVD Shrink 3.1.9, DVD Decrypter, ImgTool. With my new DVD-RW drive I got NTI software. I have NTI Backup Now!(on trial). The regular burning software is called NTI CD/DVD Maker.(I have not commingled any of the NTI software in any of the DVD Shrink operations.)

Should I begin anew by deleting all of the DVD Shrink software? Could I have a malignant virus that bogs down my system.(I have extensive Norton protection. . . . I have not detected any virus. I aggressively pursue all of Norton's virus updates.)

Please help.

[[bold]edited by herbsman[/bold]]

On what I want to do with the Sansui, I simply want to record DVDs from whatever source and play movies
    to my TV.(Incidentally, of the DVDs that I have copied to the VOB stage with my PC, the resolution seems to be greater on my PC than on my TV. . . .)

Any help that you provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

wlloyd

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2004
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I have to ask you to please look at our forum rules (#5!) and edit your previous post accordingly.

Your Norton can be a cause of some problems. It's a good practice to disable it while using your DVD programs.

Keep DVD Shrink. Have you read any guides for using it?

I'm going to look at the NTI software so please correct your post and we'll see what we can do.

5. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

fasfrank:

Sorry to have caused you folks problems. Please tell me where those rules are so I will know how to edit my posting.

Incidentally, I used to own 321Studios software. I had difficulty with it(TOO). I tried to get assistance from tech support at 321Studios. I decided to return the software.(That was before I ordered another DVD drive.). I was not aware that my DVD-ROM drive could not be used for copying. When I finally learned that fact, I ordered and received a Pioneer DVR-106D DVD-RW drive.)

Someone in your organization persuaded me to download DVD Shrink 3.1.9. The rest you know.

Regards,

wlloyd

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You are sure not the first! :D

Rules:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

To edit your post, look at the post you want to edit, you will see a little icon in the orange bar with your name in it. Just click on it and it will show your original post, where you can delete or add stuff as you wish. (Hint: Its illegal to copy rentals)

Have you read the guide for DVD Shrink??

You don't have Shrink 3.1.9, the newest version is 3.1.5b4

Have you tried to use Shrink yet, if so, what happened?

Frank

7. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

fasfrank:

I have used DVD Shrink to the extent that I can. I have run several DVDs to the VOB-status. I printed the guides for all of DVD Shrink(50 pages). I have followed every detail that I could on every pertinent page.

I would rather not take away my virus protection in Norton. I have had a few bouts with viruses. Norton has saved my bacon at least six times. I am not a PC guru even I have been using one for more than 20 years. Admittedly, I am "into it" as much as I used to be relative to Windows. However, I do not believe there is anything wrong with my system other than the too-slow modem( 56K just won't hack it!).

Please pardon my ignorance, but I could not find(. . .and I made a diligent effort) the icon you mentioned in your posting for editing. If you can edit the posting for me please edit it according to the rules of the forum.

It is late. Past time for bed. I'll take this up tomorrow.

Regards,

wlloyd

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

50 page guide for Shrink?? Where did you find that at?

I can't edit your posts only you can do that. But if you are reading this post then look at the last post you made, directly above this one. Now find the date and time of your post... do you see it? Now look all the way to the right side of the screen for the little pen and paper icon. Just click on it and then you can edit.

I want you to try and do this with Shrink, just to get it working for you.

Open Shrink and then put the movie you want to copy in your ROM.
    Cancel any player that might ask to open.
    Select "open disc"
    A browser will open, select the drive with the movie.
    Shrink will spend a minute or three looking at your movie.
    When its finished looking, a window will open. This is your "full disc" window.
    On the right side of the window, Uncheck all but the AC3 5.1 ch audio boxes, uncheck all sub-picture boxes too.
    Now select back-up using the back-up button in the tool bar at the top.
    Your backup DVD menu window opens, Target device tab. Under the "Burn with Nero to the following device" select "Hard disc folder".
    Browse for a folder or make a new one. Make sure the create VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders box is checked and select OK.
    Under the DVD Region tab, make sure the Region Free box is checked.
    Under the Backup Options tab just leave everything unchecked execpt the sound box.
    Select Ok and let Shrink do its thing.

What you end up with is a folder with an empty AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder in it. The VIDEO_TS folder has all your video files in it.

Cheers,
    Frank

9. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

To: fasfrank, herbsman,or any other mentor there.

I fully appreciate all of the advice that has been given about DVD Shrink and my wrenching problems copying DVDs. I will try the most recent advice, but after a late night with it and after having "slept on it," I would like to try to correct what I think may be my problem.

As I told you folks, I have both a hard drive and an auxiliary hard drive. Currently, the downloaded DVD Shrink software is loaded on my G-drive, the auxiliary drive. I am surmising that somehow having these programs away from the hard drive slows down operations. What I want to try first before I try your most recent advice is to uninstall all DVD Shrink software from my system and re-download it this time to Drive C. If that does not solve my huge time-requirement problem, I simply must pursue other activities. I do not have the time to spend 6 hours copying a DVD. . . .

Hear ye! Hear ye! I found the editing icon. What had baffled me was not all posting have that icon. Some of them have a head with and arrow. At the time that I was seeking that icon, all that I happen to see were those heads and arrows. . . .Life is like that. . . .

Please bear with me. I will touch base with you after I begin anew.

Goodday!

wlloyd

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2004