1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did I do to fix this laptop?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LordMiL, Aug 31, 2004.

1. LordMiL

LordMiL Member

Hey all!

Earlier today a girl I know said that her laptop died on her last night. She said she was using it when Explorer.exe crashed and the computer had to be rebooted. She said that when she attempted to reboot it it wouldn't do anything. The screen was black, no lights were blinking. the only light on was the power light. I went over to check it out and sure enough when you powered the notebook on, the power light came on and nothing else happened. So after trying different things (plugging it in, unplugging it, hooking it up to a different monitor, etc.) I told her I would bring it home to try some more stuff. Well when I got home all that I could think to check was the battery and the RAM. So I popped the battery out and then popped it back in and then I opened up the RAM compartment and pushed on both DIMM's to make sure they were firmly in. THinking I'd give it one last shot I pressed the power button and sure enough it booted fine!

The problem is that I don't really think I did anything. I just popped the battery out and put it back in and pushed on the RAM. But neither was loose or improperly installed or anything so I really didn't change anything.

Anyone have any ideas or was this just dumb luck?

2. SparkeyNi

SparkeyNi Member

The ram wasn’t seated properly that’s why it booted up when you pushed it back down into its socket. When you boot your system it boots into dos, dos is a program which needs to be copied from your hdd to your ram if ram is not present it will not boot.

3. LordMiL

LordMiL Member

hehe, I understand what the RAM is :)
    I suppose you are probably right on the RAM. It just really didn't seem to move or anything when I pushed on it so it didn't seem like it wasn't properly seated to begin with.

Oh well, I suppose this is just one of those things that you'll never know 100% what you did!
    Thanks for the reply!

4. imdemoguy

imdemoguy Member

its not wat he said if there was somethin wrong with the bios u cleared it by removig the battery and with laptops ram chips dont slip out

5. imdemoguy

imdemoguy Member

one more thing if ram wasnt seated correctly u would here a very long beep and nothing is compied to ur ram.
    ram is there to keep ur computer transferring data.

6. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

I hope this girl you know appreciates that you are a guy of magic !