1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do they mean by dvd compatiblity?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by karada88, Oct 3, 2004.

1. karada88

karada88 Guest

my norcent dp300 home dvd player says its compatible with dvd,cd,cd-r,cd-rw and mp3.And i know for a fact
    that it is region free now.

when the manual says dvd, dose that mean in can play
    any type of dvd media such as dvd+rw,dvd-rw,dvd-r
    dvd+r or it means you can only play orignal dvd's?

cause the funny thing is i download a divx movie and
    demux files, then used tmpgenc to convert to vcd(mpeg1) standard then multiplexed using ifoedit then
    burned it with nero and all seems fine for vcd which was recorded on a plain cd-r.that proves that yes my norcent home player can play burnt cd-r's.But the same does not hold true for dvd+rw?

2. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Almost all standalone players can play vcds.

If the manual doesnt mention anything about dvd+rw then its probably not compatible with +rw. only newer players can read dvd+rw disks.
    Your player might be able to read dvd-r tho =)

3. karada88

karada88 Guest

thanks a million, you're absolutely correct, it
    plays fine on a dvd-r, yes.
    Now that i have solve half my problems, theres the next batch to come, so sorry.
    to troubleshoot some more. theres no sound coming
    out, i know the sound is AC3 Audio (192 kbp/s) that was demux by vobedit v0.6, and later multiplexed back with ifoedit.the conversion with tmpgenc was done to create 2 separate output mv2 + wav.
    i used Srt2Sup to
    convert a downloaded .srt to .sup and used ifoedit
    to put it together, i'm assuming the little box with an ellipsis to the right of subpicture is for opening the source file for the .sup in ifoedit.
    but the strange thing is when the movie plays on my home dvd, the subtitles can't be seen, however you can actually see the background of the subs in black, but no words.So it's just a black boxed background appearing everytime they speak with no text.
    I'm using win XP, and i heard that you run into problems when using ifoedit, if this is true, is there another program out there to multiplex. I'm stuck and don't know what to do, pls help.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Rejig is another free program with authoring features. In fact the interface (but not the code) is identical to the one in IfoEdit, but if IfoEdit isn't crashing I don't think XP is your problem.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

karada88,

Read the forum rules!!! This is the third post you have about this. Don't do it again.