1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you call the 'converted' VOB files?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by 88Camaro, Mar 1, 2007.

1. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

This is a question I've had for a long time and kept forgetting to ask it...first, if VOB files are what is ripped to the HD, then what are the files called when the VOBs are converted in able to be burned to a DVD-R? Also, why won't the VOB files burn to a DVD-R? I've tried this but it won't work...

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

They are still called VOB files: Video OBject. For a DVD to be DVD-Video compliant, something that will actually play in a DVD player, it has to have some:

IFO files: navigation InFOrmation...
    as well as some copies of the IFOs called...
    BUP files: BackUP.

All these have to be placed in a folder named VIDEO_TS. Along side the VIDEO_TS folder you will always see an empty AUDIO_TS folder.

Once you have your VOBs, IFOs and BUPs in the correct folder they should burn correctly and be playable in your DVD player.

If all you have are VOBs then you need to place them in an authoring program such as Nero Vision. It will add the required files and place them in a VIDEO_TS folder, ready for burning.

3. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

Thanks, that was very informative...I see why your an Afterdawn Addict, lol.