1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you love & hate about the country where you live?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by pulsar, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

south china sea!!!! legend says west of the pillars of hercules which is the strait of gibralter, not the other side of the world!!!

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yes, while according to Plato (the dude that first wrote the story down), it was beyond the Pillars of Hercules (Strait of Gibralter today)and in the Atlantic, that doesn't take into account the name of the ocean. he said that it was in the atlantic ocean, but that the atlantic was a continuous sea that went all the way around the world. this was before humans had come up with the idea of the "7 seas". in reality, there is but one ocean. considering that sea travel was chosen over land-to-sea travel at the time and the true circumference (or that the world was round) wasn't what could be called "common knowledge," it very well was west of the Pillars. you're right, ddp, but only partly right. no one seems to look at the entire legend.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  3. ddp

what you are talking about for 1 ocean happened millions of years ago before man even existed. about the time of the super continent pangea which is about 100 million plus years ago!

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

still, there is one continuous body of water surrounding all the continents, and before that body of water was called 7 different name for 7 different parts, it was considered one big ocean, which is what it really is.

also, it's easy to disprove Atlantis being in the little piece of water currently considered the Atlantic, because not only has the entire ocean been mapped with incredible detail, but if you go back to Pangea, you can put the continent puzzle pieces together and see that none are missing. :)

Plato traced the story back to Egypt, btw.

5. ddp

they might have mapped it but they haven't photographed every square foot of the atlantic to find the sunken ruins

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

no, but they have used sonar...the one area that was once considered the ruins, the atlantic mountain ridge, is nothing but the magma that has risen and solidified as the continental plates have drifte further apart.

7. ddp

a lot of silt & whatever can cover the ruins in 10000 years that even sonar won't be able to see what is actually there

8. Cincyray

Cincyray Guest

USA
    What i like
    Baseball Nfl Football 2 oceans and a Gulf Of Mexico surounding us.

President Bush(I Know ill get beat up on tis one.) He had a vision for the Middle East as well as Tony Blair had and it seems to be working more and more everyday. Plus for once he does not let the Corrupt UN dictate policy.

Dislikes

Liberals ;)
    So called antiwar people who cause riots in the street to get their peace message out go figure

And finally sore losing Democrats who cant get over that their man Scarey Kerry lost the elction. Get over it and lets move on.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lol, ddp, tell ya what: as soon as i finish my paper, i'll email a copy to you (or better yet, post it online) and let you have a read for yourself. maybe i'll convince you, maybe i won't, but at least you believe in the possibility of such a place, and that's more than i can get out of many people :)

10. bassrider

bassrider Guest

New Zealand is fusking Banging.
    I can go snowboarding, wakeboarding and surfing all in one day.
    Cheapest cars in the world, (ex Japan), mean roads to drive your bad ass car on.

Bad:
    American Republican Ebay sellers won't ship here. Wake up hicks

11. regor

regor Regular member

my kids used to do it and now my grandson does it... leaves the lid off the plato, and it dries up hard as a rock.

12. ddp

????

13. regor

regor Regular member

hehe... you said yourself I was corny :)

Playdoh is a clay that mommies and daddies buy for their kids; different colors; make clay shapes and scrunch them all back into a ball and store in the sealed container... or leave the lid of an it dries out... invariably.

So what, you don't have plato (I mean playdoh) in your country?
    \
    Got Socrates?
    Crepes?
    Milk?

14. ddp

yes

15. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

bassrider " New Zealand is fusking Banging.
    I can go snowboarding, wakeboarding and surfing all in one day.
    Cheapest cars in the world, (ex Japan), mean roads to drive your bad ass car on.

Bad:
    American Republican Ebay sellers won't ship here. Wake up hicks"

Awwwwwww, "American Republican Ebay" sellers won't ship to you. Why don't you make them? You know, you can jump in your cheap car, drive to the ocean, surf on over to the U.S. and show those hicks your New Zealand style. Show them how people in New Zealand get down! "banging". Now i know you didnt make that saying up. Yeah thats too American urban. Snowboarding? Started in Michigan. Wakeboarding? Invented in California. Surfing? Well gee, i wonder where that sport came about. Mabey from New Zealand? LOL! What i love about the country i live in, is that everyone hates us. Yet as much as they bitch, whine, moan, and copy us, when something bad happens who are they going to look to for help? Now that i got that out of my system, what i REALLY love about this country is the size of it. The diversity of our people is great too. I love the fact that we are a nation of inventors. And the fact that we have actually contributed to history. No one will EVER forget us. I love being a part of what i consider the civilized world (USA, Canada, Australia, the U.K and others). I love the fact that we arent all bark, we will bite if you piss us off. What i don't like is that i worry about what they will actually remember about us. We ARE a warlike people. We arent scared of the world and sometimes we make mistakes because of that. I hate the fact that Bush actually WON the election...now i have to keep listening to people online call us hicks. There are hicks here but it's a massive country and i take offense at being called a hick. I don't like that fact that a city will spend hundreds of millions of dollers to build a new sports stadium, when they just built a perfectly good one 10 years prior. And that in that same city people live in areas filled with gangs, poor schools, and drug addicts. I hate that we will show someone on TV get their head shot off but if a woman shows a nipple its the end of the F%$#ing world. I'd rather my daughter see a perfectly natural human body then someone get murdered. I despise Walmart. I hate the fact that my cousin signed up in the military for money to survive and ended up in Iraq fighting until part of his hand was shot off. I can go on and on about things i don't like. It's easier to think of negative things then positive ones sometimes. I'm sorry if i offended anyone from New Zealand but i get tired of these kids insulting my country. I'm sure you would feel the same way. I have total respect for New Zealand. And all the citizens of your wonderful country.

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Bush & Blair? Are you serious? They are the 2 most dangerous people on the planet. I'm a Brit & was once proud of our country. Our PM is a poodle, who likes to be shafted by an illiterate cross eyed pigmy, bible bashing bumhole.

17. ddp

i agree with pulsar about bush & blair & I AM CANADIAN & proud of it. 1st gulf war everybody went in with un support. 2nd gulf war had no un support at all or arab support like 1st war so it is in fact an illegal invasion of another country with minority support compared to majority support in 1st war.

18. bassrider

bassrider Guest

hey hick, have you lived in NZ?
    I have lived in the USA for 6 months, i certainly wouldnt want to live there agian. There's no soul there. And things like FOX news? How many other countries have a Republican (or party)News station? Greastest democracy in the world? With only two parties who are almost the same? Hahaha. Everyone bags USA coz its a joke. I am sure there are some good people in USA but to a lot of americans there are 2 countries in the world, America, and 'the rest of the world'. (USA call anyone who wins a domestic competition world champions hahahahaha)

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My brother lives in Christchurch, NZ, before that Auckland. He loves the country, but he likens it to 60s Britain, worker/management attitude. I love my country, but I have a very healthy disrespect for anyone who seeks power over others, like magistrates, traffic wardens, special constables, especially politicians. SELF, SELF, SELF!!!!!!!! That is all I hear from these people.
    I used to be a manager in the Engineering industry. I had my men wrapped around my little finger. How? I respected them. It really is that simple!

20. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Hey assrider. Why would you trash the USA, or any other country, for that matter? If you don't like a country, stay the fusk out of it!

Wondering if I can say that, without getting kaboomed. :)