1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Recomend For My 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mik555666, Jul 22, 2007.

1. mik555666

mik555666 Member

Hi i am thinking of getting a xbox 360 in a month or so, i will not be playing online (nvm reasons) and i wish to be able to play backups of the games i own/dowloaded.

So considering the fact that i wont play online i just want my xbox to be modded so it will hav the best compatibility regarding backup games. So should i look into the firmware or a modchip. The firmware looks tricky and risky to do myself. Also will the NME modchips/firmware boot up all kinds of backups.
    I have heard about stealth backups. Also do i need to backup a game with a different method if i want it to run on a chip instead of using firmware and vice versa.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Just go with flashing

3. SFisher21

SFisher21 Regular member

as long as you have some knowledge of how your computer works and are a little tech savy you should be able to do the flashing of the firmware. what i did was i read every tutorial and every webpage that had them. read them a couple of times and you will feel like a pro.

mod chip is not a bad choice, but will cost you more than doing it the other way.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

Just flah the drive, that is if you do not get unlucky and buy one that has a drive that you can not flash. And do not buy the Elite as most of those have drives that you can not flash.

Read some good guides, preferably one's that tell you how to open the case and remove the warranty sticker in tact so that it can be placed back on if it is ever needed for repairs.

5. mik555666

mik555666 Member

So are some of the xbox's being sold in stores now (not elite) have a cd drive that can't be flashed?

6. mik555666

mik555666 Member

If im unluky and get a nonflashable disc, the elite drive for example. A modchip will still fix this up rite. Also another question i heard the xbox can only read dvd dual layers. Is this just what kind of backups it can read with the firmware? Or with a modchip will it still be unable to play games off dvd-r.

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You don't want to end up with either a Benq drive or the Hitachi with 79fk firmware. And another thing you may have not picked up is if you plan to use a modchip, you'll need to be good with a hot air gun. MS installs epoxy covering the firmware chip on the dvd drive board. This epoxy needs to be removed before a modchip can be installed. And a hot air can easily damage the board if the user is not experienced.

The 360 will read single layer dvd's. But it boils down to which drive you get and what firmware you flash it with. If you don't plan on using Live like you said, go with a Samsung drive and flash it with Xtreme 5.3. That firmware will allow you to play single layer games. But as it stands now, only Xbox 1 games will play on a single layer. The 360 games do have to be on dual layer discs... modchip or firmware.

As for trying to get a 360 with the drive you want, check here: http://360drives.com/list . What's important is the mfg. date, the team number, and the lot number. The team and lot number can be found by the bar code on the box the 360 comes in. For the mfg date, there's a small flap on the box which you open to see the 360's serial number. The mfg date will be right there with it.