1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Does a Softmod Do?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Seufari, May 20, 2009.

1. Seufari

Seufari Member

So I am thinking of softmodding my xbox but I am not sure if it will accomplish what I want...

My xbox dvd drive is failing so I want to play my games from a hard drive. Will I be able to?

Basically... What I am wanting to know is what all can I do with a softmodded xbox?

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

newbie question without using the search button.....

read, read and read....

but to give some directions since you do not want to take the time to read:
    with a softmod you can run copies of games off your harddisk. you can put in a larger harddisc. you can even put in a generic dvdrom drive to run copied games of this replaced harddrive (since your original is failing)..

start searching for the softmod tutorial, it is great has pictures and even a newbie can do it.

3. Seufari

Seufari Member

Ive seen that tutorial and am very confident I can handle it. Doesn't look difficult at all...

I was just wanting to make sure it would accomplish what I wanted, as what I have read mentions playing burned backups rather than off a harddisk. I would not want to go through all the trouble of a softmod if I still had to burn the games.

Guess all I need to do now is get a copy of splinter cell.

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

both will work (play copied games, or copy content of the game dvd to your harddrive and play from the harddrive. use qwix for that). you can also do the hotswap tutorial to softmod, then you do not need the original game and the gamesaves on your memorycard). good luck, softmodding is really easy. just make sure you backup the eeprom.bin to your computer for safekeeping

5. Swango

Swango Member

I believe what you are asking is can you back up all your games to your hard drive so you dont need the dvd drive any longer....yes you can and yes that needs a mod. You can mod your system, back it up and then put an new hard drive of greater size in to handle all your games so you will not need the dvd. I have over 70 games on my hdd and have 200gb still free. The problem is will your dvd drive last long enough to copy all your games? Or can you borrow 1 long enough to copy?DVD drives are easily interchangeable, not keys or files needed. Yes it will do what you require if you mod. If you need help just ask and Ill help best I can.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

*yawn* .. a fully working xbox costs £15 .. at least start with a good one rather than one with a duff dvd drive.

7. Swango

Swango Member

HA...yes about $25 across the way here...but If you are like me it gets old replacing them..... I have 2 dvd drives going out now...I can feel Seufari's pain...1 large drive (320gb for example) and 100 games copied to it...who needs a dvd drive (unless of course you use the donglefree which is all I use for watching movies!) Alas, I will be checking craigslist.org and ebay.com for cheapies.......

8. varnull

varnull Guest

The drives are actually very reliable.. I have a pair with manufacture dates in 2001 .. samsung 605b's .. they don't like opening unless you always leave a disk in.. but neither drive has ever been opened up for any work... that's pretty good reliability in my books.

the tommys can be tweaked with amazing results.. if you see a philips drive sell it on immediately while it's still working.

They are dirt cheap now.. and there are millions around.. I went through heaps and invested in the good ones which came my way.. the rest got patched up and sold on at about cost.