1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does it take to become a AfterDawn Addict ?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by rdmercer1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

but back to the original topic: what does it take to become an addict? honestly, not much, these days. the autopromote was in place when i joined, so i'm not really familiar with how much better things were before, but i can tell you right now that with posts in the safety valve excluded, life is better.

however, console kiddies with no real maturity or intelligence manage to rise through because they can figure out how to do a few things on a console and think that's enough. i think console posts should only count as half a normal post or something...maybe that would help.

2. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Another good thing about bringing back the vote is it might stop the stamped to post. Quite often I've seen an interesting thread title which I would like to add to, only to find page after page of repeated advice and replies. Whats the point in that?

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

people are dumb. this is TEH INTERNETZ OMFGROFLMGLOLLERSKATES!!!LAKSHGOAWEPG. any retard with a finger...or a tongue...and a connection can post. going to a vote won't stop the retards from posting, it will just make rank more appreciable again.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm still all in favour of an introductory "you need an IQ above that of an amoeba to register" test!

Edit: Spelling, duh!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the problem lies in that people with no knowledge won't be likely to join if they can't post, and thus they don't learn. but then again, i wouldn't consider this a problem for the community.

i would feel bad for the mature, intelligent, non-techie that comes here seeking assistance and follows all the rules; it's too bad there's far more smacktards than these, though.

it's a complicated, undesirable situation--that's for sure. there's no clear solution.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

It doesn't have to be techy related.. General knowledge, etticate, sanity etc could all be taken into account.

I agree it's not a perfect solution; a perfect solution would be if smacktards were non exsistent in the frist place..

Humph!

7. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Its not about smacktards...its about intelligent people posting to gain rank...

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

"frist place"? is that your mental sanctuary? :p

i don't know of any kind of test that could be employed and be 100% right for what this site needs. i think maybe less warnings would be good.

in the rules, it says an email addy is an auto-ban, yet i see this get warning after warning. sometimes, i guess i think mods are a bit easy on the newbies and junior members. if they're banned a few times, maybe they'll learn. if they get warning after warning, by the time they get to addict, only admin can ban them.

...speaking of which, considering how poorly i normally contribute, that may be the only reason i haven't been banned.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

altercuno, the intelligent people don't post to gain rank. it's morons that repeat what they've read to give an ambiance of intelligence and gain undeserved rank.

10. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Excellent point. Quite often it seems the same information is just regurgitated within the enclosed circle that aD's becoming. Everybody's repeating everybody else. I've seen people reply to threads with their set formula which quite often ignores the question. New people post with a different contribution/viewpoint and they become an object of attack. ..

11. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

I dont usually see warnings tbh (except for sig violations), what we need is more people to report offensive posts..considering the amount of bannable offenses the amount of reports is very tiny.

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'm by no means a long-time member here. AD's been around going on 10 years, and i just joined in april of 2004. however, i can honestly say in that time period, i've witnessed a gradual downwards spiral as AD has grown in size. well, scratch that, it's more like a ...muted sin graph. there's an ebb and flow, yet we're still seemingly headed in a self-destructive direction. this is natural--it happens as forums grow. there's nothing but idiocy to blame, and we can thank the awesome admin and mods for keeping the site up as well as they do.

in the end, i think the ultimate solution is to improve public education and teach youth respect for the systems they depend on for successful survival instead of the rebellious nature of youth culture. by no means am i saying rebellion is bad; i'm saying that idiots rebelling is bad.

on the relatively minuscule scale of AD to the world, though..well...we're screwed.

*edit*
    dvdback, i know myself and several others hit the button dozens of times a day. the problem is the console forums; most of us are scared shi'iteless (bad pun!) to enter, lest our brains implode.

i'm all for a limit on posting in the console forums, and maybe some kind of limit on the amount of accounts that can be created a day (kind of like controls on immigration); hell, maybe even "close our borders" for a while. during that time period, mods could clean house. torrent sites do it to keep leeches out. maybe we could keep our own leeches out.

13. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Dunno about that...reporting other members would - except for spam - make me feel uncomfortable. Why not have more mods? Doesn't seem like a lot for a site this size...

14. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

It is shocking the way things always seem to go down...like they fall apart under their own weight...

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

last post edited. important points. read them, y'all. :p

we don't need more mods. those levels are just fine, and the system remains efficient the way it is. too many cooks and, well, you know.

it *is* a problem with more people needing to hit those buttons, as only a few of us doing it doesn't quite work. don't be afraid to. it's part of being a responsible member.

16. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

I agree the place needs a good clean out and Ad needs to make its mind up if it wants to be the No 1 tech forum on the web and do all it can to keep long time posters, or let it go on as it is.

I see Addicts who were long time posters here turning up on other forums saying they have had enough. Those are the last people you want to see go, and reading between the lines they haven't wanted to go, but feel they haven't got a place here.

If Ad has a policy on such matters I wonder what it is?

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

AD's policy is if you don't like it, leave. whether you're a contributor or a leech, it all flows one way.

now that i think about it, i'm completely in support of my prior musings about stopping people from joining for a while. that would keep the poo-for-brains members from creating account after account over a few days. and this seems to happen a lot.

18. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Agreed. I joined another forum and had to wait 7 days before I could post, and no starting threads until you had a post count of 50. Mods were always handing out warnings and referring people to the rules and non compliance meant goodbye.

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, this suggestion is in the right forum. maybe an admin will consider it.

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i and other mods would love to back to auto-promote, it absolutely categorically would stop a shedload of kiddies post-padding and talking utter crap in the Console Forums just to hit a stupid 'rank'. I just happened to hit that 'rank' within a year i think it was, meant nothing to me, i just had far too much free time and fingers that needed occupying.

However as to keeping on top of the Forums, it's easy.
    ..as to offensive reports, they are NOT used even a fraction of the amount they should be (trust me they're not, i won't give a figure of how few people actually frequently report infractions, you people would be somewhat shocked) but luckily us mods prowl all over the shop so we catch a fair few perps quickly, but it's a letdown re how few people hit that 'offensive pointless prat' button. i've said it in a few threads and i'll keep saying it, but unfortunately most regulars (you know who you are ) would rather chat about all sorts of irrelevant tosh across far too many threads than do something useful with their (obvious copious) free time.

Anyway, enough from me, it's a bit pointless commenting as it doesn't achieve a great deal. Back to my very loud music and beer.

-edited a few times due to beer typing, TV time methinks..