1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the Scanner See... (Shrink error)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Dr_Panda, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dr_Panda

Dr_Panda Member

Hello all. I have been using this great forum as a guide for some time now but this is my first post. I would like to begin by thanking you all for your advice that has backed up so many DVD's.

Recently I have tried backing up "Scanner Darkly" to no avail. I used DVDFab Decrypter to rip the files to my Drive, but when I try to shrink the files both the standard way and by reauthoring I get the message "Programming error - Exception occured" and for the latter "Failed to read file (file location)Invalid access to memory location."

Usually I can find a post that leads me towards a new software or the like but I am having trouble finding anything this time. I am aware that DVDShrink is years old, but I am unclear on how to proceed...

Thank you in advance for your help, You are all winners in my book.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Welcome aboard!
    Sometimes DVDFab will not get the job done. There are more powerful programs, and granted some are not updated any longer. When I have a problem like yours I use RipIt4Me. This program uses a combination of programs to get the job done. You will need to download them all.

Go to RipIt4Me (click me!) and you will find everything that you need. My buddy "Alkohol" wrote a guide for using it. You can find that here: Alkohols guide (click me!)

Let me know how it works!

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Then you could just download and try AnyDVD for 21 days and you'll never have this problem again. It's not free but it's worth twice the price. Get it here: slysoft.com. It updates almost weekly for life.

4. Dr_Panda

Dr_Panda Member

THX Syxguns,

That worked perfectly. You're the man, or woman, what ever the case maybe.

Blessings to you and your household.

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Not a problem Dr_Panda! Yes, I'm the MAN and like to help people with free alternatives to getting the movie complete.

6. howy_2005

howy_2005 Member

for some reason...every time i try to back up this dvd...i end up without any audio....why is this? I like to make back-ups of just the movie only...no menues...extras...etc. could this be the problem?

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

howy_2005

I do only the main movie. No that is not your problem. What movie are you doing? Sometimes the sound will get out of sync but in reality it's not on the disc. i notice this on stand alone player rarely. just stopping and restarting the movie cures problem.

8. howy_2005

howy_2005 Member

sorry...i meant to put the movie...scanner darkly....

nope...there is no audi...stop and restart, or anything

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

@ howy_2005

Tell me the steps you are taking before you burn the project. Include all programs that you are using, the burning software that you are using, and the type of disk you are burning to.

10. howy_2005

howy_2005 Member

open disc it with dvd shrink... (with latest version of AnyDVD as well)

click the reauthor tap at the top...

click and drag the main movie into the selection...

click back up....

burns with nero 7 premium...

i have all availible updates for software and hardware.....

i have backed up over 200 dvd's and never had i had this problem....

11. syxguns

syxguns Active member

If you have the latest version of AnyDVD then right click the little fox head and tell it to rip to your hard drive. Tell it to remove unreferenced and blank cells. Then after it is complete, open the VIDEO_TS file on your computer to make sure that you have audio. If you have audio, then open Shrink. After you have shrunk the file to a new folder such as ISO or VIDEO_TS try to play it again and see if you have sound. If you do then you should be able to burn it without a problem.

If you don't have sound after ripping it with AnyDVD then download DVDFab Decrypter from http://dvdidle.com/free.htm and try it that way.

By taking these steps we can figure out where the error is occurring. Let me know what works.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I seem to recall this from another thread. ;) For the best free solution get the Ripit4Me as syxguns suggested. http://www.ripit4me.org/guide.html The official guide tells you all about it and best of all, it's free. I've been doing DVDs with it that I couldn't do with a bunch of the retail software. RI4M has turned Shrink and the other programs it uses into a modern setup. I hope support keeps going for it.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If the burns with Nero 7 don't work out as Syxguns suggests(good advice), then set Shrink to create an ISO file and burn it with ImgBurn or Decrypter. Nero 7 could be the problem. I use Nero 6.6 so I can't help with 7.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I use 7 all the time and it's no problem unless a person gets one of the updates online that sometimes causes problems. In that case back up to the previous stable version.