1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does this msg mean?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by robnyt, Jan 10, 2005.

1. robnyt

robnyt Member

Burning avi video to DVD+R w/NeroVision Express 3, , hit the "BURN" button and got:

Not enough space for temporary files in the selected folder 'C:\DOCUME~1.\OWNER~1.LIS\LOCALS~1\TEMP. There are 4070 MB available, but the recording process will need approximately 4385.

I've used the "SEARCH" option but cannot find this folder. Any thoughts, suggestions, or feedback.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Quote;

"There are 4070 MB available, but the recording process will need approximately 4385".

You have answered your own prob. If you have 4070 avail & you need 4385. Do you not get it?
    You need more space!!

What OS are you using?

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

if you have enough space on hard drive but still using win 98 or before with a fat32 hard drive you will get errors on any file over 4gb i think. If your using XP make sure your hard drive is ntfs formatted

4. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

Edit.

OK first shut down XP and restart..
    Click START > RUN (the run dialog box will appear)
    Type %temp% and hit enter...
    The TEMP folder will open, you can delete these files safely now, its ok because you have just restarted and XP aint using the temp folder yet....
    Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  5. robnyt

robnyt Member

[bold]OK first shut down XP and restart..[/bold]

***Didn't mention this, but I'm not too bright with this stuff so the questions only get worse.

So when you say "shut down XP and restart" does that simply mean turn the computer off (restart) and then turn back on?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  6. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

sorry...

Yes just turn your PC off and on again : )

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

what file system are you using fat32 or ntfs ? if its fat32 than that filesystem cant handle files larger than 4gigs . if you are using xp the file system can be converted to ntfs without formatting . if this doesnt fit into your situation i would say you dont have enough hard drive space left to do what you want to do .

8. robnyt

robnyt Member

what file system are you using fat32 or ntfs?

***I don't know. How do I find out?

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

right click on your hard drive , select properties , you will see here what file system you have .

10. robnyt

robnyt Member

Ah. NTFS.

11. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

ok so what do you have for free space on that hard drive ?

12. robnyt

robnyt Member

Out of 15,874,789,376 / 14.7GB, I have 4,243,906,560 / 3.95GB.

Obviously low.

13. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

run disk cleanup , delete cookies and other temp internet files . as you can see you do not have enough space left to do your project .

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you might consider upgrading to a larger hard drive

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

robynt. As you can see I was correct in saying that you did not have enough space.
    Did you not read my post? Mine was the first to be posted. Or did I waste my time in replying to you problem which you asked for help with?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  16. andmerr

andmerr Guest

[bold]Didn't mention this, but I'm not too bright with this stuff so the questions only get worse[/bold]

thats ok but some of us dont have much patience,(wouldnt want to mention any names.........)as they get people who are quite literally beginners in this vast area.

With time i hope you will become a valued member, but persistance is the key

have fun

andmerr

17. robnyt

robnyt Member

Pulsar & Andmer,

Have listened and am going to follow EVERYTHING you've so kindly suggested. What I'm trying to do BEFORE buying more space is learn how to delete as much as I can first. I can imagine your frustration with someone who might as well not speak the English language. To be candid, you (and others on this site) have been MUCH more patient than I think I could EVER be and that is GREATLY appreciate. PLEASE feel free to kick me over to www.howdumbareyou.com if it gets to be too much. I'll COMPLETELY understand.

18. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Don't worry robnyt their bark is much worse than their bite.
    I haven't seen anyone advise you to de-fragment your hard drive to do this along, with the other disk clean up options.
    Click on start, next programs, then select accessories, and finally system tools Defragmentation
    (the compression of stray bits of info) may take some time. Hours in some cases some people do it overnight.
    The other clean up options are quicker use all of them.

best of luck, gringle.

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Robynt, sorry if I came across a bit gruff. The thing is, is that, I did say in my first post that you did not have enough space. Gringle, de-frags & disc clean ups without a doubt can clear up your HD space, I did not think that it would free up enough. My de-frags only take 10 or so mins. I do it almost every night though! The problem I thought was a little beyond that. Especially as most software requires 10gig to be free on your HD to get results.
    Robynt, I am sure you can appreciate that we all do this in our spare time, & because we love to help people out. But if it comes across that people ignore good advice, then it can get extremely frustrating for us old timers!
    So many times we can get ignored, or criticised, for the way WE can come across. I can assure you it is not personal. I hope this has not been too bad an experience for you, & that you will stay around for a while & let us know how you do.
    Andmerr, you are of course correct, I sometimes do get impatient with some people! That is one of my VERY many faults. I was a mechanical engineer for 17 yrs, my brother is a software engineer & programmer, we can sometimes be rather condescending at times. He can be the same as myself at times! LOL
    When you train apprentices & they do not listen to a blind bit of what you are telling them, then they complain that they do not know what to do, you can imagine the results!
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar. ;)
    PS love the www.howdumbareyou.com, LOL

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  20. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I should have a website. I think that this would be rather apt!;

www.arrogantGIT.co.uk

Fits perfectly! LOL