1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DS Card

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by BigCol, Nov 6, 2007.

1. BigCol

BigCol Member

I have been looking into DS Flash cards like DS Simply, R4DS and Acekard but which one of these is the best one? Is there a better one around? Any help on this will be very much appreciated.

2. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i suggest m3 simply and r4 being their the same thing. i have never heard of acekard though, so im not sure if its good or not.

i highly recommend not getting something like the max media dock.

the m3 simply and r4 are solid cards that are good and are compatible with many roms. i have an r4 and i have never faced a problem yet, besides formatting my video files to dgp., but i dont watch videos on ds so thats no biggy

there are others like the g6, which is like the r4, being very stable and well known, but it has its ups and downs. it has a built-in memory so there is no need for a micro-sd which can be a pro and con i guess. the main menu gui is also different. there is also another similar to the g6 which is the m3 real, but i heard that the english version has not come out yet, only chinese. the m3 real has the same gui as the g6, but uses a micro sd card as supports SDHC, a very good pro. if you dont know, SDHC is a high capacity micro sd that does go up to 8gb, normal micro-sd only goes to 2gb.

theres also a cyclo-ds or something like that, but i dont know much about it.

i think we need another sticky thread explaining different types of flashcarts for the ds. i cant remember how many times something like this has happened.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Well it depends on what you want your Card to do. Are you looking to play music on it? Are you just simply looking at playing games and homebrew?

Also, do you mind buying (and potentially loosing) MicroSD cards?

If you don't want to deal with MicroSD cards the DS-Xtreme has a 2GB memory built-in and it seems to play most games. I haven't had a problem with mine yet, although I have only had it for two days.

If you don't mind buying SD cards the CycloDS Evolution looks like a good one to me. I almost bought this, considering I could get it and a 4GB MicroSD for about the same price as what I paid for my DS-Xtreme, but I hate dealing with MicroSD cards.

The CycloDS supports MicroSD and Micro SDHC. The cards range from 512MB up to 8GB. The prices on these cards range from $10 (for the 1GB, I couldn't find an online 512MB) to $100 for the 8GB.

There are so many carts out there it all depends on what you want to use your DS for.

4. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I have an M3 DS Simply with a 1GB Kingston Micro SD card and I've never had a problem with it. Like Pop Smith said, if you don't like messing around with Micro SD cards maybe the DS-Xtreme or the G6 are the cards for you.

5. BigCol

BigCol Member

I want the cart for games only. I am not too bothered about music or video files. It looks like ththe ds simply or a R4DS may be my best options as they seem the cheaper option because I already have a spare micro sd card. Thanks for the advise guys

6. BigCol

BigCol Member

Which cards can you play GBA roms on aswell as ds roms? Do they all play them or is it just products like acekard g6 etc? Im new to the world of the ds and want to make sure that I buy the product thats right for me.

7. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

There is not a Slot-1 cart that will play GBA games as far as I know.

In order to play GBA ROMs you would have to use a slot 2 device, a flash cart.