1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD-Burner Should I get?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by koolyoe, Jan 27, 2007.

1. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

Hi I am new to the DVD burning, so i was thinking of gettign a DVD Burner so that i Could back up my DVD's as well as my PS2 games, and XBOX 360 games, can anyone recommend some (perferibly cheap) that will do what i need it to do? Thanks in advance.

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I'd probably go with the Liteon burners myself. They have regular firmware updates and don't intentionally cripple their burners' functions. Pioneer seems OK as well. Plextor is just too expensive imo. Many have good luck with Philips. I don't care for the new NEC burner, Panasonic/Matshita, Samsung (altho many like this one), Toshiba, LG, or any off-brands (since you never know what you're getting). Other so-called brands, e.g., Sony, Memorex, just rebrand burners from other companies. Burner reviews can be found at cdrinfo.com and cdfreaks.com. I used to only recommend BenQ and NEC burners, but BenQ's burner operations were purchased by Liteon and NEC has changed the underlying guts of its burners. If you're in the States, Newegg.com is a good place to order from online to get good prices. Sometimes deals can be had at zipzoomfly.com as well. Good deals are sometimes listed at http://www.bensbargains.net/.

3. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

Ok, I have been looking at some, but isee that it says i Need a 1.3 GHZ processor or higher. I only have a 900Mhz. Will that matter? IF so can you recommend one that would be better for my processor thanks.

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

One of my systems is a 7-year-old 900MHz Athlon box and it burns just fine, although not at max speed of 20X. You don't want to burn that fast anyway. I usually burn most of the time at 4X-6X to maximize the likelihood of a good quality burn. Just be sure to not buy a SATA drive if you have an ATA system. Do you know which processor you have?

5. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

Yea its a AMD Duron Processor 900 MHz
    I just got it a 200GB HDD and it was an ATA-100 works great so i assume ineed a ATA burner :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007