1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what dvd drive to buy

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rastasker, Feb 11, 2005.

1. rastasker

rastasker Guest

i needa dvd drive so i can make backups of movies games ect sould you give me some suggestions.under 100 $ thanx! in advance

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Staple's has the sony 16x on sale for $89.00 after rebate, I just noticed it earlier on one of their emails.

4. rastasker

rastasker Guest

when people say they upgraded thier "firmware" what does that mean?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

They are basically flashing the BIOS of the DVD ROM Drive enabling your drive to support newer media and sometimes add a few features. Check your manufacture's website.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Updating your firmware? Your firmware basically has a list of which codes on dvd media it will or will not burn. This programming also tells the burner how fast or slow to burn it. That's why if you notice certain media may let you burn faster/slower/many different combinations of speeds/ or 1 certain speed.

Usually when you change to a media that just hit the market,it may have a totally different code,so that firmware will not recognize it.Therefore,won't allow you to burn.You would probably get an illegal disc/no disc sort of error.A lot of the el-cheapo and generic media can cause a lot of these issues so people think they have to update their firmware.

They also think they have to update it right after they buy it.

It is a risk and in my opinion if you are using good to high quality media,sensible burn speeds, and have no problems viewing those backups on the driver that burned it,the update should not be necessary. Why fix it if it ain't broke.You have to know what firmware you have,which one you need, and it better match exactly to your burner when you flash it.Also hope for no black screens of death or power surges/outages.Or you'll probably be buying a new one.

There are probably other things the firmware does,someone else may help explain.

My present firmware is b7-c9. The latest update for it is g7m9.Only 1 issue on verbatim -4x but hardly anything to worry about.My pc is not at 100% so why risk it.

I get 16x out of my sony +1-8x's and 12x out of my verbatim +8x,s. I don't actually burn this fast,but have burned a few test dvd's at those speeds.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

[bold]rastasker[/bold]

Try going on this site to look up Burners that you might be interested in. It might be a good idea to read what they say, check out their test reports and then make your final decision.

(http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Home.aspx?CategoryId=1)

8. rastasker

rastasker Guest

i have a burner i started this because my burner wouldnt burn movies, downloaded a new burning software and burned a movie yipeee!!!

exact peripheral optics.12x max. burned at 4x for the firts time!
    [just to be safe}

9. rastasker

rastasker Guest

Is their any firmware updates for that if so were!Thanks.