1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD Media To Buy?!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ima49311, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

Quick question for the pros.... ive been told that Sony, Maxell, & TDK are the best to burn on. Is this true? and is it true only if they are MADE IN JAPAN? I almost bought a spindle of Sony Dvd+r today but they were Made in Taiwan, but the Dvd-r were made in JAPAN. But I prefer +r's regardless. So, should i only get Made in Japan? Or will any SONY, MAXELL, and TDK do? Thanks for the help. 1

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

As a rule of thumb Japanese made media is superior in quality. Taiyo Yuden and Verbatum Datalife Plus are the best. Branded Ritek Ridata and Ricohjpn are some good budget medias. Sony, Maxell, and TDK are usually good medias. Stay away from memorex, generic, and retail store brand name media eg: staples comp usa.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Unifino is a Japanese brand to avoid. I had poor results with it and my Plextor 708A and a Japanese member here confirmed that they were low grade.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

"Unifino" that even sounds bad he he.

5. Nephilim

It does doesn't it? :p

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Nephilim, I figured you being a plextor man you would have a 716A by now. Whats up? Falling behind. I wanted a Plextor 716A but didn't have the funds. I bought a lite-on 1633S instead and less than a month later I could have got the plextor from newegg for a little over $80 with a $30 factory mail in rebate. Chaped my buns. Oh well my litey has been a good drive.

7. Nephilim

I've gone back and forth on the 716 but my 708 has been so good to me I just can't bear to part with her yet :)