1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVR to buy for a DirecTV HD Tuner?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by naviscan, Dec 26, 2004.

1. naviscan

naviscan Member

I am a DirecTV subscriber, installed Samsung SIR-TS360 and HD service to my HDTV at 1080/i or 480p/i res.

I am confused of what model PVR/DVD recorder I should buy, because most models in the US market have only gran'ma's INPUTS: analog. (Law restricted?)
    Is there a way to output first my HD tuner to PVR via Digital (Y/P/B, or DVI) and then output to either TV or via Digital Receiver?
    All fancy ads don't let me choose or see Inputs.
    I must be dreamin' ?

Help...

2. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Circuit City has Magnavox dvd record for $179.99, Probably not what you are looking for but it records up to 8 hours and has component inputs.

mrv640 is the model.

3. vore

vore Member

Hi guys,
    I dont know what price point your looking at but DirecTV does have a combo Tivo Recorder/(2)HD receiver for about a grand. It can record up to 30 hours in HD and 200 hours in SD. I don't know if you can convert to DVD recordings but check it out at Circuit City.

4. naviscan

naviscan Member

Thank you guys, your tips were great!
    I'm doing now some research on Magnavox MRV640 (other thread describes it as a stripped down Philips DVDR72/75).
    Still can't find whether or nor it has Component (Y/Pr/Pb) inputs ...
    Looks like merchants employ a bunch of idiots that make the tech support page ...

Any help welcome!

5. vore

vore Member

6. naviscan

naviscan Member

Thanx for the tip. Really, CRUTCHFIELD rocks!
    I found a Sony RDR-HX900 that is... $800, but has everything I missed so far...
    Besides, this site is the first to check all specs an plenty of photos, no need for stupid questions!
    I came to the point where I found there is a conspiracy against HI-Def Inputs (hence, Hi-Def burning): I guess the usual suspects are the BIG Hollywood and crooked politicians ...

7. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Naviscan-The mrv640 does have component inputs, The reviews are about even and I have had it since xmas and have put about 20+ hours into recording already and not a flaw, the picture quality is great, Even at 4 hours I dont know what the fuss is all about I have had nothing but success with this player.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/spinksjinx/sample.jpg

That is at the 4 hour recording mode, on a coaxial cable and it looks pretty good.

8. vore

vore Member

9. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Vore-I was blown away when I pulled it out of the box and saw that it did have component inputs at the price tag of $179.99....I never really thought about a dvd recorder having component inputs.

It is a pretty good recorder, I have 20 hours on it and no flaws I dont have any complaints on it really.

10. naviscan

naviscan Member

Thanks Guys, your opinions are great!
    My struggle is to find Component inputs to get DVDs at High Definition res. (min. 480/p), from my HDTV receiver/ settop box with DirecTV.
    Trouble is, even if you find one, Component inputs do not accept HDTV settop box signal. Small print says those are configured for Standard TV only (480/i).
    So what's the point?
    Like I said, Uncle Sam via crooked senators and Big Hollywood lobby managed to prohibit such a thing, for fear of DVD-quality recording/pirating...
    They sell in Japan and Europe, though, since they don't fear Hollywood there...

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I know there's some DVD recorders which can record high-def to digital TAPES, but no DVD recorders that can record high-def to DVDs. If you think about it, it wouldn't make sense since the amount of data that you would need to capture in high-def would fill up a DVD in 10 minutes. That's what Blu-ray and HD-DVD is geared for - capturing hi-def TV to record on 300GB and 30GB discs respectively.