1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What file formats can be used in recording VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by pianoman7, May 30, 2004.

1. pianoman7

pianoman7 Guest

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 and have a .avi file with a size of 30 gigs. Firstly, I would like to know if .avi files can be recorded onto VHS/SVHS tapes. I am using the ADS Instant DVD 2.0 device for both capturing and exporting. To date, I have not been able to put this file onto VHS. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

pianoman7

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it doesn"t matter what format the File is in to Record it to VHS Tape...The best way if you want to record video you have on your PC out to VHS tape is to use a Video card with TV Out...I don"t know how your Device outputs video but the Format doesn"t matter because what is stored on the VHS tape is just a Copy of the video you are Outputting to tape....
    Why aren"t you makeing DVD"s???

3. pianoman7

pianoman7 Guest

Thank you Minion for your quick response. I would like to put the file on DVD but the problem is I just recently got my ADS device and DVD burner and I haven't learned enough about recording on DVD. The file I have is 30 gigs and is .avi at 2 hours and 17 minutes. I am continuing to research this problem and your help is, again, really appreciated in trying to help put this rather large file onto VHS. Also, I would like to know if you have any suggestions on how to put this file onto DVD. I understand that it may have to be converted to MPEG-2. What program or how do you suggest we convert this file from .avi to MPEG-2 ? Thanks again.

pianoman7

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It seems that outputting to VHS is more getting more complicated than makeing a DVD....
    It really isn"t that hard to make a DVD from an AVI file after you understand some of the Basics...
    You can encode the AVI file to a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 file useing any number of different encoders but there are only a small handfull that are really any good...If you are looking for a Good encoder that you can use right now without haveing to pay for it then download "Tmpgenc" cuz you can use it for a Month for Mpeg2 encodeing ,It is one of the Slower Mpeg encoders but the quality is pretty good...
    When you first Run "Tmpgenc" the Program will basicly guide you through setting up your file to be encoded to whatever format you choose.....
    After you have encoded your Movie to Mpeg2 for DVD you will need to use a DVD Authoring Program that will add menu"s and Chapters to your Movie and format it all to a "Video_TS" folder then gets Burned to DVD....
    There is a Really simple DVD authoring program called "Tmpgenc DVD Author" (Made by the same poeple who make the Encoder) that also has a 30 day trial version available.....
    You can download these Programs in the software section of this site....good luck