1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what files can dvd players... play?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by poopy200, Jul 22, 2007.

1. poopy200

poopy200 Member

if this topic has already been discussed then sorry ahead of time.

my question is: i have a .mkv video(its a 720p file) and im trying to burn it onto a DVD+RW cd and play it on a regular DVD player. can this be done? because i just tried and the dvd player told me to "check disk", meaning it didnt take it.

what file types can a dvd player play? ive always wondered. and also if any of you know of a converter so i can change the .mkv to a file extension that works for the regular dvd player, please link the site.

boiled down- have a .mkv file on a DVD+RW that doesnt work on a dvd player, what will?

2. res2cue

res2cue Guest

how did you put it on disc? If you just dragged and dropped or burned to the disc and kept in the .mkv type file you won't likely have very much success. try a program like convertxtodvd to convert to dvd files, then burn.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

one other thing after you use convertxtodvd to convert your mkv file to vob the file will most likley be to big to fit on a single sided blank dvd so you will have to run it through dvd shrink to put it on a blank dvd, but if you have a dual layerd burner thain you could use a dual layer dvd to put your file to that, good luck