1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What format to rip my DVD's? Converting discs to digital...

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by amsgwp, Jan 23, 2008.

1. amsgwp

amsgwp Member

Okay so I have probably 60 dvd's that I want to convert to digital copies that will some day be fed to my xbox 360 the media center extender or through some other HTPC product. I want to retain as much quality as possible and the surround sound audio. How do I go about doing this? What is the best codec to encode. What if they will be played on a 1080p tv. Should I upconvert them(is this even possible)?

Should I just buy HD space and save them in raw format(VIDEO_TS?). How would you convert your dvd disc collection to digital. How do you decide which codec to go with? I want something that wont get oudated and require me to rip the dvd again to keep it up to par.

2. 330cic

330cic Member

I was going to post the same thing, word for word!

Right now I am ripping my DVDs to VOB, then renaming the VOB to MPG. That looks and sounds fine on my XBOX360, but takes up a lot of space (4gb or so per movie).

I am thinking about MP4 because then I can use iPod, PSP, etc but not sure if it will still have good video/audio quality.

WMV? AVI? DIVX?

Basically, whats the best tradeoff in space vs quality?

3. amsgwp

amsgwp Member

I posted over at digital-digest and they mentioned the container MKV. This container can preserve multiple audio tracks and also menu's! That would be perfect for this project. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the menu's into the container and the multiple video streams(and if its possible).