1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What formats can I write to a DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gwehrheim, Oct 9, 2004.

1. gwehrheim

gwehrheim Guest

I have a dvd player that will play everything....can I write mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, avi, to a dvdv, which has sucstantially more space than a cd....That way I could put a bunch of Disney movies on a single DVD. Now I have to record a movie onto 2 cd's......or is this something that DVD ram has?

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you want to back-up movies use DVD Shrink.

Yes you can put the files you already have onto DVD disc remembering that you will only get one movie on one disc and not several, unless your files are quite small. The best way is to use a DVD authoring programme such as DVD Santa: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvdsanta.cfm

Remember that MPEG 4 (DiVX)requires seperate software to convert - you can burn directly to disc but unless you have a player that's DiVX compatible you will not be able to view (except on PC)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  3. gwehrheim

gwehrheim Guest

OK, sounds like you know more than me....but maybe I'm not explaining well enough....
    First of all, my dvd player will play everything, including Divx.
    A DVD holds 4.7gig
    I have an mpg of disney's Toy story 1 which is 1.6gig
    I have an mpg of Disney's Toy Story 2 which is 1.6gig
    I have an avi od disneys monsters inc whcih is 1.3gig

That is a total of 4.5gig...in their native files. can I write these in their native format to a DVD- remember, my dvd player is the phillips dvp642 which plays everything except DVD-Ram

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Yes but I'm sure you need to use an authoring programme to get more than one movie on to one disc to view in a standalone player. Also DVD discs only contain 4.34Gb of data - 4.7Gb is a bit of a misnomer and will not explain it here. Puttin one file on one disc is still an improvement on CD. Don't forget avi files look pretty awful on a TV screen.

5. gwehrheim

gwehrheim Guest

SO, I can use pinnacle, ulead as an authoring toolif I already have it......came with my Video card

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You need an authoring tool, not an editing tool, although you can try and import your files into either application and if successful you can then create a menu and burn to disc. Although I am familiar with Pinnacle Studio you will need to check whether you can import the files - not difficult to do - go to the top menu bar in 'Edit' window and find the 'import' option.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004