1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What free software should I use?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by abrogard, Sep 1, 2014.

1. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

I some avi files which are videos taken through a microscope with digital cameras.

They've got incidental sound on them, from the camera, which I don't want. Need to take that out and perhaps add a commentary or background music or both.

They have some bits more interesting/useful than other bits so they need cutting up.

There's many of them and they're small so they need joining often into something more useful.

There's many suggestions on the web but when I go look at them there often turns out to be something wrong - like that 'Lightworks' seemed to be exactly what I wanted but it turns out the free edition limits the output to 720p or somesuch, too low a resolution. It is important that these images be maintained in as high a resolution as possible. We're trying to look at tiny things and see them clearly.

Perhaps this forum can help me with some direction?

regards,

ab.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

windows movie maker will work for basic editing and is free.
    avidemux is great for splitting movies but not sure what other tools it has.
    handbrake has been recommended on here for videos things but i don't have any personal experience with it.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

handbrake is for encoding to different formats it won't do what the OP wants,the best bet is re-post over at videohelp.com where more specialized help is available

not sure if it's poss an audio commentary maybe able to be played along with video as a separate file,so media player plays vid & you use audio options to select the separate audio file,preferably a player that can auto select that file like when using external subs,the idea there is to automatically mute the onboard audio from the vid

4. attar

attar Senior member

VirtualDub, which is an AVI editor, can append identical videos and save using 'Direct Stream Copy' - optionally with the audio disabled.
    As to editing on non-key frames, if 'Smart Rendering' is used with 'Full Compression', the only encoding would be at cut points..

5. Johnny Mire

Johnny Mire Newbie

Not sure if Windows Movie Maker supports 1080p. Have you looked at Video Easy or Movie Edit Pro? Not free, but good value. You could try the demos and see what you think. MPEG Streamclip will allow you to remove the backing track and crop the video, but to add a backing track, you need to use video editing software AFAIK.

6. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've been on this all day. Still not there. You know how it goes: unexpected hassles pop up. Software demands you download this and that... Must be 6 hours on it now and still not done.

I was using movie maker and it won't work for this. Produced an audible file with no video. Seems really broken now, too, which is suspicious, I feed it a video file and tell it to save it without any processing at all and it produces a blank, black file again.

I got the audio out with avidemux and had to use something else to put the new audio in. Don't even know what it was now. Streamclip? Or VirtualDubMod? Anyway I got a win eventually and went to post it on Youtube and it took forever. That's when I took a look at the file. Swollen to 7.8G from an original of 65M(the vid) 1.5M (the sound).

Hopeless.

I will go look at videohelp.com. Thanks for that idea.

:)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  7. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i know a lot of youtubers recommend sony vegas pro but its $30 and i havn't actually had any experience with it.

8. omendata

omendata Regular member

Ever heard of bittorrent?
    The latest version is on there with a valid key breaker.

Vegas pro will do what you want.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member