1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what happened to ATI?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Azrea1, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Azrea1

Azrea1 Regular member

i was considering getting a new graphics cards for my gamming rig and was looking around, when i noticed it seems to be all about nvidia cards all the sudden.... since nvidia's 7/8 series of came out i dont hear much about ATI cards, i kno they have great support for driectx10 (or so i've heard) but it seems like nvidia is dominating the video card gaming market as of now. this is just from my prospective, id like to hear from others who are using ATI cards and and hear there opinions on how they stack up against nvidias cards.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The reason why ATI have been less popular is because they lost the 'who can make the fastest graphics card' race, and lost it badly. However, most of their products are still very good, and competitively priced against nvidia.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

their drivers for their cards suck too. Its real hard to find one that will work with your card without lagging like crazy.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually no, it's easy. It just wasn't for your card because it's obscure and not an official ATI product. I've had no driver issues.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have an EVGA GeForce 7900GT X16 PCIe; 256MB Video Card. I am not a gamer, but I do use graphic intensive programs.

This card works well for most things, except one video editing program that I use. It will probably be the last NVidia card that I own. I will go back to ATI (ASUS now).

6. AXT

AXT Guest

The 8800 series GPU's are just better overall for gaming than ATI. ATI dominated the DirectX9.0 years, but now they are getting dragged down by AMD. It's not just their drivers, but their cards aren't as fast as NVidia's 8800 series.

8800GTX >> HD2900
    8800GTS 640MB > HD2900
    8800GTS 320MB ~ HD2900

However, you can find some neat new technologies in ATI's card that are not found on NVidia's.

Read up on those if your interested.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's funny that people think that.
    The HD2000 series was designed entirely by ATi, only marketed by AMD. We haven't seen what effect AMD has had on ATI's products yet.