1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to the chapters?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djm2k, Nov 3, 2004.

1. djm2k

djm2k Member

I'm puzzled by this, and i'm new at this, so please bear with me. i merged the mpeg files with TMEPGenc into 1 file of 2.13GB. i used NVE to covert it, but when i got to the section that wanted me to add menus & chapters i didn't add any,because i was under the impression that the movie already had chapters from the original rip. Can someone explain how i make the menus & chapters please.

thanks in advance.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Are these Downloaded files? They will not have chapters or menus, etc. usually, just the main title. So, you must create your menu and chapters.

here is a simple, easy to follow NVE guide I wrote, use it with the NVE manuel if you have questions :>)

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Nero;action=display;num=1094748961

BTW, you could have merged, converted and burned all in NVE ;>)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  3. djm2k

djm2k Member

Hey Big Orange,
    Yes, they are downloaded files. I was under the impression that, since it was a rip of a store bought movie that the menus and chapters would be copied also, "my bad". I did use NVE, but when i got to the part about the menus & chapters, i didn't know how to proceed, due to thinking the menus & chapters were already in the movie. I will attempt to merge,convert and burn in NVE today. If i have anymore questions, i'll post a reply.

Thanks again for your help.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your welcome :>)

5. djm2k

djm2k Member

Hey Big Orange,
    I sent a post regarding another question i had for this post. it was about some download that come complete as a store bought dvd,once its converted and burned to a dvd, it has all of the menus and chapters as if it was ripped from a retail dvd. Have you seen a download like this before?

Just curious.......

Thanks for your help.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Nope, was this downloaded over a period of time or was it sent as an emailed zip file?

7. djm2k

djm2k Member

Big Orange,
    It was downloaded over time he said. I will continue to use NVE. I also tried using DVDLab tonight from one of the guides on this forum, but it didn't work out. I couldn't get past the connections screen! It kept giving me a error concerning the "fist play & "title button" saying "Menu 1 has no buttons and infinity timeout". The guide explained deleting the "menu 1 file", but that produced the same error when i tried to "compile DVD".

Their has to be another program that makes "auto chapters" out there! Any suggestions Big O?

All information is appreciated...
    Thanks again......

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

NVE will make auto chapters. After you click on create chapters, there is a button on the lower left side, click on it and NVE will auto create the chapters or you can do it manually. It does take a little time to do it on auto :>)

9. djm2k

djm2k Member

Thanks Big Orange,
    I found the button to make "auto chapters". I must have done something wrong though,because after burning the disc, i only can view the chapters. The movie doesn't play now. Where did i go wrong Big O?

thanks for your help in advance......

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Did you view the movie with the remote before you burned to see if it worked properly?

Also, anytime I am using an authoring program, because they are so finicky, I always use a RW til I get it right, then I burn to R. Sure saves on coasters.

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Try to do your chapters manually in NVE, about 10 - 14 should work fine.

12. djm2k

djm2k Member

Hey Big O,
    i did use the remote, but when i saw all the chapters as i scanned thru, I ASSUMED it was all their and working. So i transcoded the file because the movie played before i put the chapters in. I'm going start over from the beginning and do everything in NVE. i was using the files that were pre-merged with TMPGenc program. i see you have to follow the guide to the letter. And yes, i used a DVD-RW to practice with.

Can you send me your guide to use?

Thanks......

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

The guide is at the link I provided for you earlier but any way here ya go :>)

BTW, it's much quicker to insert the chapters manually than to use the auto function, as I mentioned earlier. I just put one in every 7 minutes or so after looking at the screen preview to make sure it's not right in the middle of something. You can use the little clock thingy on the bottom right of the preview window to fine tune the chapter mark and then click on set chapter icon

Here is a simple quickie NeroVision Express (NVE) guide I wrote, hope it helps.

Open NVE

Choose make DVD > DVD Video

click on add files on the right.

From the window browse to your files and add them one at a time, wait in between for NVE to do it's thing and when the file is finished add the next and so on til done.

If you wish to create chapters, click on each file one at a time after they have all been converted, and hit "create chapters" starting with the 1st then hit next and you can set your chapters manually, (which I do it's faster) or you can let NVE do it for you auto. There is a preview window, just slide the slider, note time on right and stop it, hit the set chapter button.

Go back and repeat this step for each file til done.

Note, you can also edit your files in the same manner(one at a time) by hitting "edit movie" then going back and repeating for each file.

Note-this could take another guide in itself for editing, I'm just giving you the basics. Most movie files don't need editing, unless they have commercials, etc.

Now it's time to create a menu. hit next and here you set your layout,backgrounds,buttons, text, font, colors, etc. For NVE 3-To use the nero templates just choose, if you wish to create a custom menu click on "edit menu".

A very neat feature here, you can import backgrounds, video clips, pictures, etc. to incorporate in your menu. There are 3 little cameras for this import feature. Just left click on each for it's specific function.

Each heading on the right in this section is self explanatory, click on each one down the line, follow the cues until done.

Once your window is setup on the left you can right click on your buttons and select properties, go in and type titles, fonts, etc.

Hint- I like to go to movie sites and get video clips, backgrounds, posters, and photos for my custom menu. You will need to play around here til you get the hang of it, the manuel is a great aid.

When finished, hit next and you will see a software remote control. Use this as you would one from your living room chair at home and play with your movie. Go to different chapters, FF, rev., pause, play, etc. If you wish to change something you can still go back, if all is to your liking then hit next.

Set your parameters for burning, ie.-your burner, your HD, record settings, it's in the box at the top right.

When all is ready hit burn, go away, leave the PC alone, NO MULTITASKING !

When you return play your masterpiece you created!

*note*- this is not intended as a complete step by step guide, but is a blueprint of sorts designed to give you steps to follow. NVE is more compicated than a simple burn guide. Use the NVE manuel which can be found at the Nero Homepage. You can download it, print it, or do as I do which is put all the Nero Ultra 6 manuel links in a folder which I can go to at any time and review.

If you use this guide with the manuel you will be fine, it is one of the simpler programs of this type.

good luck....

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
    :>)

14. djm2k

djm2k Member

Hey Big Orange,
    Sorry about missing the link on your earlier post. I will follow this guide, but first i have still am confused about the bin/cue files and how to place them into NVE? i have 3 bins and 3 cues in one folder on my HD. What do i do next? I know we covered it before, but could you walk me thru the steps again? i'd appreicate it Big O.......

It's difficult to do a project when you don't understand a certain aspect of it.

thanks again.

15. djm2k

djm2k Member

Hey MysticE,

I will do them manually this time around,but i need to go back to the beginning of the process, and get the bin & cue files correctly added/placed so i can merge them the right way.

Thanks for your feedback bro!