1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What hard drives do you have in your PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by LTDesp11, May 13, 2007.

1. LTDesp11

LTDesp11 Member

2. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

3. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

$105 doesn't look too bad. Now i can't wait (will Hell freeze over first?) for an ISOloader to be released. That makes the $105 even sweeter, a better return on investment.

4. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Lets hope an ISO loader will not get you banned from Sony online, that would kill the best part of the PS3, at this time. If they do and there is a problem with Sony online then I will buy another PS3 and mod that one and keep the one I have for online :)

5. dpickett

dpickett Guest

I was thinking about using that kit that lets you use 3.5" sata (and the HD just sits outside the ps3)

Anyone else swap harddrivess? anyone have any harddrives to reccomend 2.5" or 3.5" with the most gig for the buck?

6. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

When I changed my hard drive in my PS3 from a 20GB to a 160GB I noticed that there was some space when you remove the mounting bracket. I wonder if with a little manipulation and perhaps some cutting you would be able to fit a 3.5” drive inside the PS3 without installing the 2.5” HDD bracket. I never seen any inside shots of a PS3 (Beyond what I can see when changing the HDD) but I winder if it could be possible. It would really piss me off if I found that I bought a 160GB HDD for $105US when I could have got a $500GB for about the same price, well plus an adaptor cable thingy. I wonder how important the 5400 RPM rule is, would a 10000RPM be faster? Thought I read a thread somewhere that said you had to use a 5400RPM drive. Most SATA drives are 7200RPM. Hummm?

7. dpickett

dpickett Guest

From what i read at another forum i frequant is that the reason to go with the 5400rpm is to cut down on the heat,

8. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Heat could be an issue but you could always cut a hole in the top cover of the PS3 and mount a fan to suck out or blow in what ever the better case may be. Ugly yes but there are some pretty cool looking light up fans now. Hay what about a clear PS3 case with cold cathode neons! SHWING!