1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a good program to make home movies?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by eroc23, Feb 2, 2003.

1. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

I have a sony DRU 500a DVD burner. I want to put my home movies on to dvd. I downloaded Unlead movie factory but I dont think it is the full version. I cant make a title or make chapters. I would like to know what program is good for making a professional home DVD. I want chapters and a title in my movies. I dont want to spend the money on one and not like it. Any recomendations? HELP PLEASE!!

2. CrumFarm

CrumFarm Member

Sorry for the delay.

I'll tell you what has been a tremendous program for me for capturing, making titles, & editing: Pinnacle DV Plus.

NOTE: I don't make my chapters using Pinnacle. I'm not even sure if you CAN. I make my chapters using a seperate burning software. I've personally had no troubles using the bundled Sonic MyDVD for making chapters & burning to DVD.

ANOTHER NOTE: Pinnacle comes bundled with a certain IEEE (1394) Firewire card (you'll have to browse them to find out which one it is). 1394 is the preferred capture method (over USB).

3. Annubis

Annubis Member

Well I have tried about every demo out there and my favorites are these:

Capturing/Editing: Vegas Video 3.0c by Sonic Foundry
    Authoring/Burning: DVDit PE 2.5

Vegas Video 4.0 +DVD is coming out later this month that includes a really powerful DVD authoring package ( www.sonicfoundry.com ) so I have a feeeling I will buy that and use it for everything. You can get a demo of VV 3 off their website, it is so easy to use and extremly powerful.

4. Annubis

Annubis Member

5. CrumFarm

CrumFarm Member

Holy CRUM!! B...but it's 800 Dollars!!

(looks nice though)

6. Annubis

Annubis Member

That's if you want DVD Arch w/ Vegas Video, when it comes out for a full release later this month, you can buy them separatley.

Want a hint? Have someone who is a student buy it for you, it will be under $300 for academic pricing.

7. eroc23

eroc23 Guest

I am currently trying Pinnacle and it is good but I cant figure out how to copy to DVD it only lets me create a file of a movie. How do you go about doing this?

8. CrumFarm

CrumFarm Member

Pinnacle is strictly for capturing & editing, I believe. Use your bundled Sonic MyDVD to burn it to DVD.

Oh, and you'll also first want to download TMPGenc. Most people hate MyDVD, so you could also go with a plethora of other burning programs.

9. mohadiib

mohadiib Member

Crumfarm:
    When authoring your own dvd's, does it normally take 8-9 hours to transcode an hour and 33 minutes worth of DV AVi footage?? I am using Pinnacle Express and that is how long it is taking me to transfer to dvd. Is there a faster method without losing the quality???