1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a nor/nand dump and if I am already running custom firmware, should I do this before I upgrade the firmware on my PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by wheelstb, Nov 30, 2012.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

The title says it all. I was curious if I should be doing this. Plus I want to know what exactly it is. I tried to google it but could not find much of anything explaining what it is. I'm sure it is a dumb question and I will feel like an idiot for asking it later.

Thanks in advance.

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

A nor/nand dump is a dump of the information contained on the nor/nand chips, containing your console ID, your drive ID and some more, all the information required to repair your console in case you brick it.

3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

another thing to add that IF you did dump the nor/nand from lets say 3.55 and installed lets say 4.21 and got a brick.... flashing back the dump using hardware flasher will not magically fix the console... the console will be still in a brick status... to fix it fully you will have to get a downgrade dongle to fix the brick mess... take note that fixing a brick deletes all the info from the console ALL OF IT.. scary eh lol

4. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I was running version 2 of multiman it was so old that it did not have the mmos file manager so I upgraded to version 4.13.

When I get into the file manager and press the circle key to bring up the menu I cannot see anything about hex view. the only options I see are copy, cut, rename, delete, create shortcut, properties, permissions and create new folder.

What do I need to do from here to be able to make the backup?

Thank you to everyone for the help, I appreciate that no one has told me to Google it. I know these are novice questions.

5. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

mmOS->Select any file->Open in HEX viewer->[SELECT]->[START]->DUMP LV2(NO)->DUMP LV1(NO)->DUMP FLASH(YES)

6. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

opening the file in the hex viewer is my problem. I am unsure how to do that.

7. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

well just pick a file and double click(tap X twice) on it it will bring the hex editor then just follow the chain from my other post (^__^)

8. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Got it. Not sure what I was doing before but could never get it to work.

Thanks for the help. Your a lifesaver