1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a torrent?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by nismo_rat, Mar 8, 2005.

1. nismo_rat

nismo_rat Member

I know I'm probably going to get alot of "STFU n00b" posts for this crap, but what is a torrent and how are they put to use? For all of you who actually don't make fun of this lost soul and help me, thanks. ;)

2. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

Check this FAQ site for your answers

http://btfaq.com

Also check the guides section of this site on how to use various BT clients

Torrents are an awesome way to transfer files via the internet.

Greetings,

Weycraze

3. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

We all started out as nOObies...LOL. Keep After Dawn in your favorites and welcome to the Bit Torrent community!

4. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

A torrent is a small file that describes the file(s) you're really after. It tells your BitTorrent client what the file looks like, or what it's composed of so it can be found. A tracker is where torrent files are posted.

5. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

Actually this may better describe a tracker:

A BitTorrent tracker centrally coordinates the P2P transfer of files among users. BitTorrent trackers are software server "toolkit" applications that typically run on Web sites. BNBT and CBTT are names of common BitTorrent tracker toolkits.
    Tracker software serves up torrent files for download from a Web site. The tracker maintains information about all BitTorrent clients utilizing each torrent. Specifically, the tracker identifies the network location of each client either uploading or downloading the P2P file associated with a torrent. It also tracks which fragment(s) of that file each client possesses, to assist in efficient data sharing between clients.

BitTorrent clients connect to a tracker when attempting to work with torrent files. The tracker notifies the client of the P2P file location (that is normally on a different, remote server). If the BitTorrent tracker fails or is taken offline, clients will be unable to continue sharing those P2P files. A tracker normally utilizes TCP port 6969 for network communications.

6. WARNE

WARNE Guest

From what I understand a tracker is just that ... tracks the torrents, yes?

7. vans12

vans12 Regular member

I like bit torrent because they are a lot faster than a regualer download. it is awsome!