1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is best program to use for scratched DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Timm129, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Timm129

Timm129 Member

I've been coming across a lot of scratched DVDs lately.
    CloneDVD2 will not read through nor will Shrink.
    Are there any programs that will read through them??

Thanks

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

dvd decrypter can be set to ignore read errors.

3. Vedas830

Vedas830 Guest

I have a solution for you and its not Software
    Get a Skip Doctor you can get one at just about any Major
    Department Store or Record Shop
    Run the disc in it folowing the Directions
    Then you should be able to just use the Software that you prefer
    I have done this on several Discs and it works great
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2005
  4. Timm129

Timm129 Member

I can't get through Shrink with the scratches. It does not get past the analizing... I didn't think decryptor could shrink it down.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

If you have DVD X COPY try DVD RESCUE on it ive had pretty good luck with it.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

2 things you could try.Take the offending disc to your local video library and get them to clean it for you.There maybe a small charge.

or

try isobuster:

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

Software Publisher's Description

IsoBuster is an expert and low-cost utility that recovers data from CDs and DVDs. All CD and DVD file systems are supported, and the program also supports an enormous range of image files. It comes with a comprehensive help file, scanning for lost UDF files and folders, and a CD and DVD surface scan. Find lost data on CDs or DVDs created with drag-and-drop applications (DirectCD, InCD, DLA, InstantWrite). Find lost pictures created and saved to CD with Mavica or other equipment.

Download.com Review of IsoBuster

This program recovers various kinds of information from any type of CD or DVD. During installation, IsoBuster asks the user to select the file systems to associate with the program, such as ISO9660 and UDF. If you don't make the selection at that time, you can do it manually later. After the software launches, it automatically configures and shows all the information on the CD or DVD in the CD-ROM drive. The program lists the computer-assigned and actual file names of recoverable files. Recovering any deleted file takes seconds. Besides the recovery functions, IsoBuster can play audio files, search for deleted names through keywords, and extract files from all the sessions done on the CD or DVD. Although the graphics and organization of the program are only average, the performance is outstanding. This software can help just about everyone.

7. pfh

pfh Guest

DARN! Isobuster! great idea! Never thought of that. I too had that same question this weekend. DVDD and Shrink don't like scratches and ignoring errors in DVDD defeats the purpose and didn't work anyways.
    Thanks andmerr!!

8. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

How is isobuster going to recover sectors that cannot be read?

@Timm129

dvd decrypter won't shrink it down. You'll still have to use dvd shrink after ripping it to the hard disk with dvd shrink (assuming you can).

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

How about a combination of both the DVD DR CD & DVD Repair Device and the software suggested. Winning combo!

10. p5yco

p5yco Guest

hi, i have used wipeout! cd repair kit now for almost a year and has yet to fail to repair any badly scratched disc i have thrown at it. its very simple to use and doesnt take too long-just follow the instructions. do a search on google to find shops selling it, or even ebay. hope this helps.

11. Timm129

Timm129 Member

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try isobuster. I just thought maybe one program would be more forgiving about the errors.

Thanks again.

12. flx2000

flx2000 Member

13. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

this is gonna sound really stone-age but I heard you can use toothpaste to remove scratches too. I've tried it and I can't remember exactly how well it worked, but never damaged. It supposedly does the same as the liquids used by themselves or in conjunction with a Spindoctor-type device. I'm cheap.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have had them all and you cant beat the skipDR it repairs the disk every time... It only use's mineral water.. No special liquid..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

good grief bbmayo, cool hairdryer!, or can opener.!. as for toothpaste i tried it for a larf (i felt cheap too) but took absolutlely ages to get rid of it. plus it didnt work. tho the disc i had probs with looked like it had been attacked by a radiator, or similar, it was ker-knackered

16. giraff36

giraff36 Member

ive used dvd x rescue in the past sometimes it works well most times but it did cost 24 pound from templegames

17. 00264167

00264167 Member

sometimes i find roxio disk copier (included in the roxio 7 suite) works, it also compresses the output file at the same time so no need for shrink. i think it just copies everything even the skips so it may be ok if it only skips slightly in one place. it wont do copy protected disks so u have to use it with anydvd.
    sometimes read errors can be the dvd protection causing it so check the file thats causing the skipping on your stand alone player.

18. Timm129

Timm129 Member

Thanks for all the replies but Ive found out that if it is damaged bad enough nothing will work. Otherwise just retrying will usually work with no noticeable movie glitches.

Timm

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

trouble is some of the copy protections exhibit the same symptoms as a damaged disc, ie CRC errors. Whether this is intentional or not is a moot point, as the protections affect different ppl in different ways

pesky protections

Rich

20. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

You might try and find a used game or dvd dealer that has a machine that removes scratches. I had some discs that skipdoctor couldnt fix but the industrial thinga-ma-jig made it new for 3 bucks a piece.