1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem What is Best Way to Make DVD from Decrypter Files?

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by abrogard, Dec 6, 2015.

1. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

I've got heaps of files made by DVD Decrypter years ago. They're supposed to be backups of movies and stuff. Now after a few disk crashes I've decided one of the best backups might just be burning DVD's again. Belt and braces.

But then I ran into hassles finding a slick and easy way to do it, to make a dvd from these files.

Their structure is what you'd expect: A root folder with the name of movie or whatever then a sub folder 'video_ts' with all the Vob's and such in it.

What is the best way - considering quality of reproduction and minimum processing time - for me to burn DVD's from these things? And/Or would I be better off making AVI files from them? (I think there's dvd players play avi's nowadays?)

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Cost wise hard drives are far cheaper per gb than dvd's & last longer

You'll have to decide the container you want if your player can play mp4 or mkv i'd go that route rather than avi,however it depends on the player you intend to use as that will determine what format is best if it doesn't support others

you can test quality of all 3 containers & encoders by cutting & encoding say 50-100mb part of the movie into avi,mp4 or mkv.you can cut using dvshrink front & end cutting

stax rip can do avi.there maybe others that can do a faster job

for mkv my personal choice is vidcoder as i can set desired file output size,after trimming front & end credit crap with shrink or nero recode

mp4 i'd use vidcoder as well

Once all vids are encoded & you have placed them in separate folders with the same name you can use kodi (best go look at some screenshots of it you'll see why i mention it),however placing a dvd cover of the movie in the folder with the movie & name it folder.jpg (extension is hidden),you will get a thumbnail of the dvd cover when looking at the folders with windows

pictures of kodi
    http://kodi.tv/about/

3. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

of course the best way to burn these already ripped disks is to just 1:1 copy them..

good stuff there Scorp .. not come across vidcoder .. tend to use command line ffmpeg here (typical of me)

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Not a good idea to copy again,if there's issues with bad blocks on the disc it's better to strip just the movie & hope it's not on any corrupted part of the disc

vidcoder is cross platform