1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is booktyping?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cyepumk, Apr 20, 2005.

1. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

ive heard the phrase booktyping several times already.i dont know what this is or what it is good for.ive never been in a situation where i needed to booktype something,or maybe i have and didnt know it?can anybody explain this to me?or maybe got some good links?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

4. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

thanks for the links.i havent had compatibilty issues,so that is why i never knew about bt.and like the guy in the first link said,compatibilty issue is a relatively small problem.i tend to find people are too quick to blame their dvd media for problems with their backups,in effect,overexaggerating incompatibilty.there was one guy who bt'ed his dvd and it still didnt work.maybe there is a chance it cant fool some dvd players at all.but anyway,if i do come across a situation where compatibilty is an issue i will keep book type in mind.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The key to compatability is to use good, high quality, proven media. In some cases even this won't solve compatability issues, thus booktyping +r media to dvd-rom may solve the problem.

There are some cases where ppl think booktyping any +r media to dvd-rom will solve all problems when in reality the problem is poor quality media from the start.

Good, high quality, proven dvd+r media booktyped to dvd-rom will give you the best chance of compatability with more set top players. Some want this because they pass their dvd's around to family and friends with a variety of players. Dvd-r is still the second most compatable format and perform well for most.

6. cyepumk

cyepumk Guest

i find that cleaning your lens can get dvd+r to work.dirty lens can cause some media not to play.since older players stand a higher chance of having a dirty lens(people dont think about cleaning their lens).case in point,my ps2 didnt read anything but ps2 dvd games(not even the ps2 cd games).i cleaned the lens,thats all.and it read everything,including dvd+r.i know dvd players might be different than a ps2,but a glass lens is a glass lens,and that glass lens was the only thing keeping me from reading certain media.