1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is bricking?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by sandy10, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Ive seen different items about bricking consoles.It seems to relate to backups or flashing in some way and it sounds frighteningly final for ones console if effected,is it the end if bricked and what can cause it as im getting a 360 to play backups and i want to know the risks.
    Cheers.

2. IChrisI

IChrisI Member

Bricking your console means literally that, turning it into an expensive paper weight. I know that locking your harddrive on an original xbox without the correct eeprom will brick it. I imagine you'll be flashing the firmware of your dvd drive on the 360? I suppose that could render it unusable, but i wouldn't think it's permanent, as you can always change the firmware. Not to encourage you though, as altered firmware can not only incapasitate your box, it gets you banned from xbox live as well.

Someone who knows 360's could probably help you better than I, I gess just know that "bricking" your box is indeed frightening, but i'm not sure how flashing your firmware could brick it. sorry.

3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

If the flash goes wrong it can render the drive in a state where it cannot be re-flashed! Hence the drive is 'Bricked'!

4. sandy10

sandy10 Member

Cheers,that helps me a bit more.