1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is data execution prevention

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by mka212, Feb 8, 2008.

1. mka212

mka212 Guest

hi,Can anyone tell me what data execution prevention is and how do i turn it off,if this is probable,cause it playin havoc with my laptop

2. onya

onya Guest

Data execution prevention by definition is what we all require, unless specified. Lets say you put in a disc or download a file with executable files within, you really need to know who, where and what the files are before you CLICK YES. As for turning this "feature" off, let me ask the obvious......why would you want to auto install anything and everything?

Not sure what you mean by this.

What symptoms is your pc suffering, that prompt you to ask in the first place? Be as specific as you can please.

Cheers

3. silk42

silk42 Regular member

If you're using Windows XP, you can right click on My Computer and choose Properties. From the System Properties window, you will choose the Advanced tab. Next you will choose Settings for the Performance option. Finally, you'll choose the Data Execution Prevention tab.

If you want to learn more about what DEP is, simply click on "How does it work?". As for turning it off, you'll have to select the option "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" and then add the program below.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  4. mka212

mka212 Guest

thanx heaps for your reply and thanx for the info