1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is DTS 5.1-CH English

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Analyzer5, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Analyzer5

Analyzer5 Member

I know when using dvd shrink to select the audio that reads "AC3 5.1ch English" for the main movie and "AC32-ch English" if you also want the directories cuts and some sound things for certain extras. But I was wondering what does it mean when there is an option for "DTS 5.1ch English"?

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ac3 is dolby digital, dts is another audio format. this results in larger audio files than ac3, so if you're happy with ac3 just don't select the dts files.. it's all down to personal preference.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Not a dts guy, creaky?

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

nah, haven't got room for loads of surround sound fandangle stuff, my boat is only 6ft wide. :)

plus my 20yr old main tv (14" bless it) hasn't even got stereo or teletext). Sometimes watch my films on my dad's posh tv tho, my god the surround sound is incredible.

Must admit i've never heard how DTS sounds, but more than impressed by dolby so never found the need.

:)

5. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

With a "properly" set up Home Theater system (DTS decoder) Digital Theater Sound can sound much better than the same soundtrack in Dolby Digital. I always select DTS.

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Even though I prefer to listen to the dts soundtrack of a movie, I rarely back a movie up with dts if it means too much compression. If your receiver can decode it, dts is the way to go. Blows away dolby. I have convinced plenty of people dts is better by just letting them hear the difference for themselves on my home theatre.

7. Analyzer5

Analyzer5 Member

Don't have surround right now so guess it does not matter!!! :(