1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is DVDShrink used for?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nye553, May 11, 2007.

1. nye553

nye553 Member

about a year ago I used it for compressing DVDs but was introduced to DVD-RB which allows the DVDs not to look like crap when re-encoded/compressed. I first noticed how bad the image looked when I started backing up Nip/Tuck season and decided to find another way of compressing.

What do you use shrink for in the DVD Ripping Process?? I use it to burn the to DVD but now I've read that it uses Nero. Is shrink even needed for Full Ripping?

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Shrink at one time could handle 100% of the copy protection (CSS) found on DVDs. Now, with more potent copy protection schemes showing up, it may not do the job.

It still is a good tool for compessing movies quickly and easily and can handle ripping some movies by itself. It has a few features that still come in handy for other video stuff, like taking clips from movies.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i think one of the reasons why it is still very popular is because it is free,(only free transcoder available) and like Frank said still a very good program, and still does a good job picture quality wise, on movies that are not too long.