1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is firmware?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by billwebso, Jan 13, 2005.

1. billwebso

billwebso Guest

I hope I don't sound too silly asking this, but what is firmware? I just downloaded DVD info pro, but wanted to get some feed back before I started downloading and messing with my drive.

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

generally its programs issued by the manufacturers of DVD writers and burners that updates their equipment. see AfterDawn glossary above

Sort of a "operating system of the hardware", an embedded instruction set built-in or flashed into a hardware equipment, such as a router, CDR drive, DVD-ROM drive, washing machine, etc.

well I nearly got it right lol
    gringle

3. hursty

hursty Active member

it will update your driver will the latest info on newly released media.
    dont update if you dont know what you are doing
    no offence intended!!
    if you get it wrong,you can trash your driver

4. billwebso

billwebso Guest

No offense taken I am new to this and am trying to optimize my backing up experience.. I have read that I can upgrade my HP 400c to a dual layer burner. Didn't know if I wanted to take the chance. I am planning on getting a faster burner though.

5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

if it ain't broke, dont' fix it!!

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It is always a good idea to upgrade your firmware from the manufacture's website I say again fom the [bold]manufacturer's website[/bold]
    If you follow the manufacturers instructions you will have no problem and I highly doubt you will fry your drive. As lond as you downlod the correct firmware and install as specified by the manufacturer you will have no problems.

Now as you say to make your Drive a Double Layer burner this is probably hacked Firmware (Firmware that someone other than the manufacture created) I would reccomend staying away from this firmware although most work fine at first they seem to cause problems later on, and you will have voided your warranty on your drive. If you really want DL then purchase one they arent that expensive any more anyway.

Good Luck