1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is firmware

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Joe22, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Joe22

Joe22 Member

I have recently had trouble with Genie-Soft backup software. I was trying to complete a multi session backup (5GB) and it completed one disc, prompted for disc 2 and then no further prompts. It just continued writing to disc2.

They tell me I need to back up my firmware. I am not sure what they mean by this and their explanation hasn’t helped me.

I have Nero 5.5.10.9 installed on my computer and my CD-RW Burner is Imation. I used the Nero Info tool which showed [1.0] G:\CD-RW CDR 6S52 in the top left of the box and Type: CD-RW Recorder and Firmware Version: CDR 6S52.

I went on to the Nero site which states they will not accept responsibility for any firmware updates.

I haven’t a clue what I’m supposed to do now. It’s taken me ages to get this far and in all honesty, I don’t really know what I am doing. Is the firmware update supposed to be for Nero or Imation. Can anyone help me?

My OS is WinXP Pro

Joe

2. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

so what is the problem here, does it just continue to burn and not finish?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the firmware is the bios update for your drive so should be able to download it from drive manufacturer & maybe get the instructions on how to do it from there too

4. Joe22

Joe22 Member

It continues to burn and doesn't finish unless I quit.

ddp Is this the drive manufacturer for Imation or Nero? Sorry to be such a novice

Joe

5. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

Well thats denfinatly something different :-S
    What you want to look for is Imation(make of drive)

I read on a few forums and this should work for you drive
    http://www.4kus.com.tw/webfw/CDR-6S52/R526SG5.zip
    The process with this firmware update is really easy, its just a simple executable.

Im quite confused thou, because this is a CD-RW CDR Drive, and how is it posible that you got 5GB onto 2 disks, have you got 2 drives installed to you computer, like a dvd drive as well as this?

6. Joe22

Joe22 Member

Hello Dude

Sorry if I've confused you with my original query. My total backup was 5GB and I was running a multi session which should have taken about 6 discs with compression.

The first disc completed 18% of the backup and the second should have also done around that figure but it just keeps writing until I quit. It is obviously too much data for the second disc but it doesn't prompt for the third disc.

This is my problem and why Genie-Soft suggested updating the firmware. I'll am looking into your link. I definitely did not get 5GB onto 2 discs - that would be nice!!

Joe

7. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

nope dont say sorry im the monkey here, my brain couldnt comprehend your post. Please let me know how you get on.

8. hijacker

hijacker Guest

www.cdfreaks.com download firmware for your drive.