1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is "good" compression

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by playakane, Dec 14, 2004.

1. playakane

playakane Member

I use DVD shrink all the time and I use the custom compression ratio for the menus and the extras.

What is a "good" compression range and what is a "bad" compression range where you actually see a difference in quality for both the menus,movie, and extras.?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello playakane, 100% is the best compression rate which equals no compression at all.Since you like to keep as much of the movie as you can,you can use dvd shrinks quality enhancements. Everyone has their own opinion on the quality of their backups.If compression on my "main movie only" falls below 80%,I use all of the enhancements,takes longer but well worth the wait.80% to 90% I may use them.I have even been in the 50% range and the backups still turned out sweet.The quality of your backups is up to you.Practice on some rw's with and without the enhancements to see if there is much difference. Later

3. playakane

playakane Member

thanks for the reply.

I do see that my menus look dull when I compress them too much. It is hard to get the main movie up to 80. I do get rid of the captions, languages, and most of the audio. Does the compression affect if the dvd will play on some players?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello playakane, Usually I never burn the menus unless the entire original dvd is small enough that I don't have to compress. My backups,if compressed,is main movie only. I haven't even watched those extras on the originals i have.I am not sure of how they look with all the extras on my backups,but the small ones "b-movies" look great. To help on your backups playing on stand alone player,High quality media will take care of a lot of issues.Many people facing that problem here at AD and the high quality media will solve a majority of problems.I answer quite a few questions on that subject. Later

5. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

what i do is to to the menu...then custom...and put the bar as low as it goes....in the 40s...that usually brings up the percentage on the movie in the 70s.....that usually (using deep analysis)is am almost perfect copy

6. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

can't type for crap today

7. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

Another factor to consider is the running time of the movie.

If a movie is 180 minutes and takes up 7 GBs on a DVD-9, then you'd best do both a deep analysis and eliminate everything else that you can (i.e. reauthor with movie title only and your one audio of choice) before you compress. You're trying to minimize any degradation of the movie's resolution.

On the other hand, if the running time of the movie is only 90 minutes and it is taking 7 GBs on a DVD-9, then skip the deep analysis and include everything (i.e. whole disk) before you compress. You've got a lot of movie resolution to play with.

These are just my rules-of-thumb that have evolved using Shrink. Kinda depends on personal preferences...