1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is happening here Friends?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by outdoor, May 22, 2007.

1. outdoor

outdoor Member

I have backed up hundreds of movies with no problems for years thanks to you all. Have all the programs from anydvd to ripitforme. Now heres the problem. I have no problem getting movies to my hard drive, when I burn them to my Verbatum disks, now all of a sudden only about half of them play on all our players. Used to everyone played no problem, I made about 6 costers in two years, the past two months I thrown away about 25 or more, Until I just figured out they still play on some of the players. Its crazy, some times it will play on all players, and the very next one it might just play on one of them. Sometimes it says format not readable, or unable to read disk. I'm doing everything the same. I burn with DVDdecrypter, I'm going to try imageburn, if thats not it could it be my burner going bad? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

outdoor,
    How old is the burner as the newer DVD's might not have a MID code that is recognized by the burner? You may also be correct about the burner going bad but the good news is you can get a new burner at a very reasonable price

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

read this on what some members said about their Verbatims:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/509466

you might be one of the few who got a bad batch of Verbatims. and since you have been burning for a long time I know you know the do's and don't about DVD Burning..... but here are some tips ... you might know and then again you might not .... excuse me if it's repetitive if you do know:

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

4. outdoor

outdoor Member

hey all, my burner (computer) is only about 14 months old. And I am on my third batch of Verbs from a second on line store. Kinda thought it might be the media also. Can't beleive I'd still be getting bad ones from two different stores. Also I burn at half speed everything is up to date. Its just crazy how it hits every about every third one or so. Might buy a new burner being I have a second slot for one, burnt around 500 dvds, is that about the life of one? . Whats the best, I have a liteon now

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I have 2 burners....... and I've burned over 3000 with them and still going strong!~ so burning only 500 or so shouldn't even make a dent in the lifespan of your burner!

6. outdoor

outdoor Member

Just had another issue, maybe this will help ya'll tell me what to do. Had a couple of disks with pictures from our camera, never had a problem calling these up, but just today it had trouble recognize them. took awhile but it finially came up. So would I be safe to say I need a new burner

7. sorrow93

sorrow93 Regular member

@outdoor
    I have heard of people burning thousands of discs on the same burner I'd try something as simple as a lens cleaner perhaps the dust has really clouded your lens cannot hurt to try and one last tip if you do need a new burner you asked for some good writers - pioneer are very good reputation and fairly priced too... perhaps for some reviews you could check out the cdfreaks.com website
    You have updated your firmware ?
    goodluck and I hope Happy Burning!
    in the short-term try some different media before you put the burner on the garbage heap

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

are you doing movie only? if not try backing up movie only on a couple of the ones that won't play on all your dvd players.

my dvd player can be picky sometimes if I save the menu unless I use RI4M which removed useless menu cells. now that RI4M is no longer updated you might have to resort to movie only or try ripping with dvdfab decrypter and then run it through FixVTS.